Floating Goldfish. HELP!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BrooklynAngel

AC Members
Jan 25, 2007
Manhattan, NY
Smallish fancy goldfish. After he eats his belly gets bloated and he is belly up for most of the day. At night he is fine and sleeps on the bottom like normal. This has been going on for about a month. Any ideas?

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
Different food, for one. Something is causing gas/intestinal blockage IMO.

What are you feeding? What is your set up, parameters?

Kristina

BrooklynAngel

AC Members
Jan 25, 2007
Manhattan, NY
I have a 6 gallon tank with sand and a filter. Feeding goldfish food. I check the ammonia a few times and it was zero. I put a bit of salt in the tank after the weekly water change. I have had them about six months.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Hi BrooklynAngel,

I am sorry for the grim news but a 6g really is not a suitable tank size for the fish. Do you know what strain of goldfish do you have? If in doubt, please post a picture of it. In your second reply, by "them", do you mean you have more than one goldfish in there?

Fancy goldfish need to be kept in at least 15g guideline per fish. As these are sociable by nature, obviously, keeping one by itself in a 15g or at least less than a 40g is not really an option. They need plenty of space and the amount of space given, paves enough time to dilute their wastes as well thus preventing ammonia and nitrite for soaring and, harming and killing them subsequently. Please post your water parameters as we really need it. What are your nitrite and nitrate? Why did you add salt in your tank?

The likes of ryukins and pearlscales are quite prone to digestive upsets and swim bladder disorders as their body shape has compress their internal organs greatly thus enough air can easily be trapped in their organs and leave them to lose their buoyancy in the process. Please presoak the pellets, whether floating or sinking before feeding them and avoid the flakes automatically. They can ingest air just by eating floating foods or hog all the foods that the foods literally expand inside their organs thus they suffer the consequences of swimming imbalance.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Brooklyn, Lupin is correct. 6g is a much too small tank for even the smallest variety of goldfish. You need at least a 20 gallon tank for a fancy goldfish, and the more active fancies require a 30 gallon tank.

You may be overfeeding, which can cause digestive problems. Reduce your food to only what the fish can eat in 2-3 minutes. Variety is also excellent for fish with digestive issues. Try adding shredded romaine lettuce, kale and parsley to your regular food. Some roughage will clean out his system and is also very nutritious!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store