Swollen oranda?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

corrieberry

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
London
My oranda looks really bloated today. I recently put him onto sinking pellets instead of having to soak flakes etc, is it possible it's just too much food? I will try the pea thing, but if it doesn't work does anyone have any suggestions?

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
Your best bet is to fast him for a day or two, and then try peas to clear the blockage. You can soak the pellets in water before you offer them and that can help. What kind are they?

Kristina

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I agree with Kristina. It's possible your pellets are expanding once soaked so if your oranda ate a lot of pellets and they expanded inside his stomach, then that definitely causes bloat. In this case, presoak the pellets first before feeding them to the fish.

corrieberry

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
London
Thanks - this has to be what it is as he is normal size today. I can't believe I didn't work it out before. Do you think it would help feeding less rather than soaking? That was the whole point in getting the pellets...I love them dearly, but orandas are like looking after a 14 year old arthritic dog or something!

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
If your fish are bloating, it is more likely to be from bacteria in the stomach creating gas than the expansion of the pellets. Unfortunately, very often goldfish cannot efficiently digest many of the land based proteins used in their food. Feeding less at a time is definitely a good move, but you also need to ensure that your fish have enough fiber in their diets to push these things through as well. Are you seeing bubbles in their poo? What kind of food are you feeding, and what are the tank conditions, size, parameters, inhabitants, etc...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store