ick

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

maverick1320

AC Members
May 29, 2009
I introduced a yellow tang yesturday to my reef tank. He was fine when i put him in but todat he has ick. I have heard you can add garlic to thier food to help this without using medications. Anyone tried this ?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
IMO I think it does help, but it doesn't do anything for Ich itself. What garlic does is entice fish that are picky eaters or are sick with things like ich and have lost their appetite. Garlic will sometimes get them to eat, which gives them strength and keeps their immune system up and able to fight off things like Ich. It will not do anything itself directly towards fighting off ich.

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Ace, in that case, what do you recommend with regard to a tank with one fish. I really don't want to return my perc because of this, but the ick is so thick on him i am afraid that he won't make it. And, i don't want to deal with the spore,etc. staying in my tank forever. What medications can I use in my display tank that will resolve this issue. I have some coral in there, but no clam yet. There is also a condy and a cleaner shrimp. Anythoughts would be appreciated.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I'd put the fish in Quarantine (treat him there) and let the display tank go fallow for 6-8 weeks.

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
That is what I am trying to do now, but not sure I can go that long with him in a bucket and we really don't have room for another tank in the house right now... but that may be the only option. What are your thoughts about keeping him in a 10 gallon with no substrate? Could I get buy with just a powerhead and a piece of live rock for biofiltration or would I need to set up another filter? I have a spare HOB filter that I could use for something here, but it is huge compared to a 10 gallon.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
QT Tank for something the size of a clown would be:

10G tank, koralia1 powerhead, Small HOB filter (not required, NO carbon), and heater. No need to worry about cycling, live rock, sand, lights for a QT tank. Probably around $60 or so in items before you get into the medicines.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
You can use a 10G-14G Rubbermaid Roughneck Tote/Storage Box as a quarantine, as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store