my fishes mouth?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

newbiefishlover

AC Members
Apr 17, 2009
im not sure if it has always looked like this ,but i only noticed when i changed them to the new tank about a month ago,
but my partner thinks there might be something wrong with it .
iv a fantail, but its mouth is like no other fishes in the tank,
its hard to describe, but it kinda looks like

o--o that lol,it looks swollen on either side the -- are his top lip!
i tried to get a pic of cotton mouth on google to see if it was that but as always i couldnt find anything?!

the fish eats ok, and seems happy enough?! could it just of always been like that ?!

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
For the time being, a quick google search for representative goldfish "mouths" got me a bunch of comparison images that are consistently round or oval. I wasn't able to find anything that shows them the way you have described this... as you can see below.

We really need to see an actual photo of your goldfish. Watch also for any possible abnormal signs in the fish's behaviour or physical state.... just in case. If there isn't something else wrong, perhaps a misshaped mouth is the result of a genetic deformity or previous injury that's healed. Either way, this doesn't sound normal.

Let us know when you can get a photograph to show what this looks like.

newbiefishlover

AC Members
Apr 17, 2009
i had to draw a pic to make it easier to see, as as soon as my camera is out my cat wont get out of the way, and it might look like shes in the tank on the pics- but she isnt lol :p

hope the drawing/pics are good enough

Picture 041.jpg Picture 038.jpg Picture 034.jpg Picture 039.jpg

newbiefishlover

AC Members
Apr 17, 2009
the fish on the left is the fantail. and where it says normal is the mouth of a normal fish , his mouth does close compleatly although iv draawn it slightly open as closed!

newbiefishlover

AC Members
Apr 17, 2009
i found out yesterday, after the death of the fish that it was cotton mouth that the fish had for all this time. a friend managed to pop round and check it out, then the fish had a bit of a fit and died minuted later.
i read online that it is highly contagious? as the other fish were exposed to this for so long, what is the best thing to do to help avoid them getting it too||?
iv emptied out the tank 80%ish water, rinsed gravel plants and ornaments out with water from the tank but gotten off any seeable 'things'. anything else i can do?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store