Purple Coral?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cjtabares

AC Members
Oct 17, 2007
Bristol. RI
Well my girlfriends favorite color is purple and she asked me to add something purple lol

So i was wondering what some of your favorite purple coral are. I have a 100gal (72''x18''x18'') with a Nova extreme pro 72'' T5 fixture 468 watts 6-39 watt 10,000°K, 6-39 watt 460 nm actinic.

This is a list of the coral i wanted to add idk if there can be compatibility issues besides just spacing just wanted to make sure it would work with what i want.

Bali Green Slimmer (Acropora yongei)
[FONT=&quot]Dendrophyllia (Dendrophylliidae)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Orange Ricordea Mushrooms (Ricordea florida)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Frogspawn Coral (Euphyllia paradivisa)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Branching Hammer Coral (Euphyllia parancora)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Brain Coral ([/FONT][FONT=&quot]Lobophyllia sp.) or (Trachyphyllia sp.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Clove Polyps (Clavularia sp.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Candy Cane Coral (Caulastrea furcata)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Plate Coral (Cycloseris sp.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Or[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fungia Plate Coral (Fungia sp.)

[/FONT]

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
I know they have purple SPS...if you can have those in your tank, there you go.

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
A nice birdnest would be cool. There are some that are pretty close to purple. Check out the pictures in Ace's first 45 day thread.

cjtabares

AC Members
Oct 17, 2007
Bristol. RI
Yeah i have seen some pictures of some purple corals, i was more looking for others favorites. I also wanted to be sure they were purple, because i know pics can be deceptive.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Here are FNSs suggestions with my own opinions from having had or at least seen in person most of those corals.

Purple Monster - Ugly
Purple Plasma - not all that purple when the green polyps are out
Idaho Grape - Ugly and grows like a weed, literally had to beg someone to take it out of my tank.
Purple Haze - Ugly
Purple Mushrooms - Cool for a mushroom

Just my personal opinions from seeing those corals in person. Only the Purple Plasma looks nice, but don't expect it to be purple. Your opinion may differ than mine.

Other "purple" looking corals, Cali Tort, Oregon Tort (more blue than purple), tons of wild SPS acroporas that are purple, the one DSR mentioned, Hyacynth birdsnest is red with purple polyps on it.

As an example, here is the purple plasma FNS linked to...

And here is one that a local reefer has

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Yup, the purple plasma looks green. If you look at the eggcrate in the picture it is white, so you know the color on the photo isn't off, that is the true color of the coral. It is the first photo that is doctored and also shows no polyp extension.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store