"All Glass Aquarium" fluorescent bulbs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lmarshall

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
Hi,

Last fall I purchased a ten-gallon aquarium kit, don't really remember the brand. It had a Tetra Whisper filter, and an Aqueon heater (so far so good on the filter, the heater was a disaster). If I were to set up another aquarium there's no way I'd go that route again. I've learned a lot since, but kept it fish-only so far. I recently decided to try out some plants, I purchased some micro-sword, and water sprite.

Right now I'm using the bulb from the kit, which is a 15 watt "All Glass Aquarium" fluorescent. Is there any way to tell if this bulb puts out an acceptable spectrum for plants? Should I go get a better bulb ASAP?

customdrum

GOT PLANTS?
May 2, 2008
south carolina
the light isnt enough to grow much at all. the microsword needs medium to high light. its not gonna live long in that lighting,the water sprite may grow o since its a low light plant.
you cant replace the bulb and get any better light since it only a 15watt fixture. you will have to buy a light for better lighting or build one for the 10g.
alot of people use the 10g hoods with screw in bulb sockets and put the spiral flourescent daylight/6500k bulbs in it and can grow plants decently. the strip light wont grow much other than java moss, maybe a crypt or amazon sword but not reallly grow very good.

biggie357

AC Members
Dec 18, 2008
Hi,

Last fall I purchased a ten-gallon aquarium kit, don't really remember the brand. It had a Tetra Whisper filter, and an Aqueon heater (so far so good on the filter, the heater was a disaster). If I were to set up another aquarium there's no way I'd go that route again. I've learned a lot since, but kept it fish-only so far. I recently decided to try out some plants, I purchased some micro-sword, and water sprite.

Right now I'm using the bulb from the kit, which is a 15 watt "All Glass Aquarium" fluorescent. Is there any way to tell if this bulb puts out an acceptable spectrum for plants? Should I go get a better bulb ASAP?
If its a flourescent bulb and is actually 15w, thats alright for some low-light plants in your tank (you have 1.5 WPG [watts per gallon])

i have a 10g tank that i ran two 13w CFL twisty bulbs in, which gave me 2.6wpg, which made my plants EXPLODE. I havent had any experience with those plants but you could probably get away with your current bulb, or spend 10$ on twisty CFL bulbs for more wattage/new shiny bulbs.

Keep in mind more light = more plants needed to outcompete the algae that will all of a sudden poof into your tank.

biggie357

AC Members
Dec 18, 2008
What kind of fixture did you use for the twisty CFL bulbs?
just a standard hood that came in a kit with the tank. it was bought a long time ago and my twisties just barely fit, but had about a cm of clearance to the top of the fixture. i lined the whole inside with aluminum foil and WOW does that make a difference.

dont be afraid to ghetto-rig your hardware. as long as the software works good :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store