Flourite Black Sand and Corys

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
After having a bad experience with corys and Tahitian Moon Sand, I'm cautioning the fiancee about the Flourite black sand until some of you can tell me you've been okay with it being safe for cory barbels.

Anyone?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have black sand with corys. Not the large "pebble like" ones in a bag, but the kind you buy at the LFS by the pound. It is finer then normal gravel, but not quite like sand.

lorindaleigh

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Crap! I just ordered eco-complete like 5 minutes ago and then come to the forum and read this. Is eco-complete cory safe?

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
should be fine. a lot of people use eco-complete with cories and have no problems with it. I believe msj is one who keeps the combo with no problems.

I've kept my corys with regular Flourite with no problems. Mine are currently in large river gravel/play sand/Flourite mix and all still have their barbels.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Crap! I just ordered eco-complete like 5 minutes ago and then come to the forum and read this. Is eco-complete cory safe?
PS--My black sand is over my ECO (ECO on the bottom with 1inch of black sand over it).

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Good timing on this discussion. I have sand in my tank and the water is always too murky. I'd like to switch out to something a little heavier but didn't want to cause damage to my cories' barbels. Can I use a small/mid size gravel that is sold in LFS? Someone also recommended, on another forum, a heavier sand.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Good timing on this discussion. I have sand in my tank and the water is always too murky. I'd like to switch out to something a little heavier but didn't want to cause damage to my cories' barbels. Can I use a small/mid size gravel that is sold in LFS? Someone also recommended, on another forum, a heavier sand.
I had a similar problem with sand, kept getting sucked into my filter. I switched to gravel for a while, but then switched out for Turface. It is smooth enough that the cories are not bothered by it, but it is also heavy enough not to be kicked around. It also has the bonus of being cheap, I think I paid $35 for 100lb of it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store