Growling Raphael Catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
That was scary!:eek:

I was redecorating my tanks and accidentally dropped a raphael catfish from the driftwood while wedged under it. When I picked it up, it began to make growling sounds and instinctively, I freaked out and immediately placed it back in the tank. It scooted back to its home and I was relieved...phew...:headshake2:

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
If you stroke the Raphael catfish instead does it purr?

That really is quite interesting... I know of course that loaches will click at you... I've never owned a fish that would make sounds... Except for the Danio who made a slight "plop" sound when he jumped out the tank onto the kitchen floor.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
I've seen them described as one of the "talking catfish".

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
my angels and gourami will 'pop' as they suck food in, every once in a while something in the tank will click at me, but I've never hear of a fish growling. That's wierd!

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
LOL, I used to have a spotted raphael, and it would do that if I had to net it for any reason. Totally normal, lol.

Kristina

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
If you stroke the Raphael catfish instead does it purr?

That really is quite interesting... I know of course that loaches will click at you... I've never owned a fish that would make sounds... Except for the Danio who made a slight "plop" sound when he jumped out the tank onto the kitchen floor.
:lol:

**** suicidal fish! :)

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
That was scary!:eek:

I was redecorating my tanks and accidentally dropped a raphael catfish from the driftwood while wedged under it. When I picked it up, it began to make growling sounds and instinctively, I freaked out and immediately placed it back in the tank. It scooted back to its home and I was relieved...phew...:headshake2:

Creepy.... I didn't know they could growl... You should try to get an audio of it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store