seeking advice, severums with eggs ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

danclark

AC Members
Mar 23, 2009
edmonds wa
i have two severums who recently layed eggs i have several questions that i would like any opinions about..

1. Can i remove the eggs from the parents to a seperate tank before they hatch. .. i notice that they fan the eggs with there fins.. is this essential for there survival?

2. The eggs are mainly translucent and several white eggs, i assume the white eggs are not viable or is that the other way around?

3. Does anyone know how long it takes for the eggs to mature and hatch.
or what the breading cycle of severums are..?

any opinions would be helpful

They are currently in a 125gal tank with a large oscar who is starting to harass them at night only (for some reason when i leave there tank light on he doesnt bother them), and a upside down cat who so far isnt interested.

im open to any suggestions.

im leaning towards stealing the rock they layed the eggs on and placing it in my empy 29 gal tank with out the parent.

steelshade

AC Members
May 24, 2009
Little Rock, Arkansas
1. I've never heard of the eggs needing to be fanned.
2.The white eggs are the useless ones. They probably failed to be fertilized.
3.It should only take 3 or 4 days from being laid for them to start hatching.
If placing the rock and eggs in a new tank, be sure to use the exact same water they were already in. New water conditions could harm them. Just pour water from the old tank into the new one and make sure the temp is exactly the same before making the switch.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
An airstone placed near the rock/eggs to circulate water over them is helpful. You'll need a larger tank than 29 gallons to grow out any number of fry.

danclark

AC Members
Mar 23, 2009
edmonds wa
Thanks for the comments toddnbecka and steelshade, ive added an air stone and the other tank mates are less interested in the eggs it seems when the tank lights are on.
It appears more and more of the eggs are turning white each day. i have people lined up to take some potential fry if they survive. but i do need an excuse to buy a large volume rubbermade water trough to convert in to an above ground pond lol.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
If it's their first spawn they may need some practice to produce a good one. However, once they start they'll keep at it for at least several more rounds before talking a break.

oscartank

Geophagus and severums is my game
Jul 17, 2008
South Wales UK
29g should be fine at first for about 2 months then you'll need somthing bigger! I got 30 juvis from my last batch, I sold all green, blue an brown and kept 9 gold wich I'm growing out in a 90 g. Ill sell when I get some pairs!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store