up-date on the Elephant Nose

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

altabc

Feb 8, 2009
Victoria, B.C. Canada
I introduced a Peter's Elephant Nose to my tank a couple of weeks ago. I was asking a few questions about feeding habits. As it turns out it seems that these fish don't seem to commonly kept my our members. I had done my research, but as you all probably know, theory and reality...well?

The fish seems to be thriving. No weight loss, and I think he may actually be growing a bit.

As for feeding habits, things are working out. These fish have the same brain to body mass ratio as humans so I decided that we needed to work on "communication" a bit. I observed him, worked with him, and he has responded very well.

He has staked out a feeding ground. When he goes there I know he's looking for food. On the other hand he has learned that I may not always be there to feed him on demand. (worked on this when I had a few days of vacation time). At 5:00 or so, he'll move from his sleepy place to the feeding ground. I reward him with a blood worm snack. He gets more food at about 9:30 at night when he becomes very active.

On the other hand, he has taught me that he is a very sound sleeper. I checked him out one day, and there he was, un-moving under his "root", not a flicker of movement. I thought he had died. I poked around a bit....nothing. I pulled his sanctuary away, and wow(!) what a reaction. I'm glad that he doesn't speak English, 'cause I would have gotten an earfull!

chattgirl

AC Members
Mar 26, 2009
Atlanta, Ga.
I'm excited for you that your new friend is doing well! I have been doing some reading about these guys myself! very excited to get one when my tank levels are right! What other type of fish do you have in with him?

altabc

Feb 8, 2009
Victoria, B.C. Canada
I have what is referred to as "dither fish". They consist of 5 Rasbora heteromorph, 5 Lemon Tetrae, and 5 Neons. These guys are shoalers of a very gentle disposition.

The Elephant Nose (as you probably already know) are a gentle, rather retiring kind of fish. They do not cope well with aggressive sorts.

I have read quite a lot about Peter's Elephant Nose (P.E.N.) as well. I found a lot of contradictory advise. Eg. "They should have another of the same species in the tank". Apparently this is okay as juveniles, but not as adults. I also ran into a lot of disparate advise re. pH, water temperature etc.

My P.E.N. is happy with temperatures between 78, and 82 degrees F. Indeed, I had an accident with a heater where the temp. soared into the high 90s. We quickly cooled the tank, and the P.E.N. recovered.

My pH lurks between 7.2, and 7.4. Everything seems to be okay. I have soft water.

A q.t. tank is probably neccessay. P.E.N. is sensitive to medications. They do NOT tolerate salt. These guys have no scales. If I ever run into any kind of disease with my other fish, I would have to isolate them to medicate.

P.E.N. require a very clean environment. I do tank changes weekly anyway, so I am confident hat he is happy in that regard.

I believe that the most challenging factor in keeping one of these fish is establishing the feeding habits. If your fish starts taking on that lean greyhound look, something is wrong.

Provide lots of hiding places. Your fish is going to tell you where it wants to sleep, and where (and when) it wants to eat.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
that's great to hear he has such a good life with you, and that he's trained you well, lol.

i'm doing a little reading on these unique fish too, but i don't think i'll be ready to keep one anytime soon.

altabc

Feb 8, 2009
Victoria, B.C. Canada
I know I'm getting awfully wordy with responses re. my P.E.N. The fact is that I tend to keep my head screwed o just a little tighter if I write things down. I'm taking this out on all of you. Time to start a journal!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store