black occ clown

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
i have had a pair of them for almost a year,.. the all dark one was fine the other with a patch of orange on nose was kinda dumb and listless,
after a few months the other one got better,..more equal,.. but the last few months the all black one,.. seemed to just lie on the bottom, and stay there not eat like the other and its been this way for a while every now and again it would eat some, but not come up to the top,.. and when done it would sink to the botton,, was worried for a while,
but it wasn't loosing weight and no marks on it,. no stringy poo,.. nothing would act alright and then go back to bottom and kinda lay sideways,..
today and the last couple days it been flat on its side,..

and seems kinda pinky black,.. the whole time it was being different it was mouthing a bit more than normal,.. i haven't seen aly sign of noticeable disease,..
can it be genetic? or something brain wasting?
at different times i've seen the other trying to push it to the top,.. which i though it was fighting it,.. but have since seen it is helping,..

also few weeks ago, i noticed the other growing spurt,. where this ine isn't getting bigger,.. but i figured the other was becoming female,.. they were about 1-2 inched when i got them,.. almost a year ago,..

water parameters are 0 amm,nitrite,nitrate, and phosphate,.
not sure what is up with it,..
and if anything rings a bell to anyone,..

don't want to loose him but couldn't find anything to tell it was i'll other than the way it was acting,..
no flashing or nothing????
any ideas,.. it looks like he's getting worse,.. but still dosent look thin,

here is a video of him and ny blennie wondering about his breathing also,
the blennies breathing started a few days after he was in there, perhaps gill something or other,..
the other clown is fine and not breathing hard,..
both clowns were put in together

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/dixienut/?action=view&current=100_1981.flv

Last edited:

bettaobsession

AC Members
Jun 22, 2009
Looks to me like he's starting to go into paralysis, but I am DEFINATELY no expert.
Sorry I can't really help you, I have never had SW tanks. :(
Hope he pulls through and good luck

MGDMIRAGE

AC Members
Nov 29, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Looks and sounds like PH shock to me, have you tested it? Also what kind of flow do you have in the tank? Up surface agitation if possible. If PH is out of whack SLOWLY get it back to where it needs to be.

The one clown that is laying on the bottom is a perfect example of PH shock though laying on the bottom of tank and breathing irregularly.

I would definitely up the flow and surface agitation though if there isn't much as this will help rid the tank of co2 and help ph stay a bit more stable.

Tricity

AC Members
Dec 14, 2009
It would also help to know what kind of filtration you have: if you have a sump or canister. To be safe, do a freshwater dip for about 5 minutes. It could potentially be a parasite. I myself am having issues with flukes on my black clowns. And a freshwater dip never hurts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store