Weird bubble on betta's ventral fin

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dexter

AC Members
Mar 14, 2009
Southern Cali
Weird bubble on betta's ventral fin and a pic of it

I just noticed this weird bubble on my betta's ventral fin. I have no idea what it is and I am worried it's hurting him because it is bending his fin into a weird position. I left the house today at 4 and everything was fine. When I got home four hours later at 8, this bubble thing had suddenly appeared. I got some pretty clear pictures, does anyone know what this is?

Here is some background info that might be helpful:

Tank - 5 gallons that he has all to himself

Heater - set to 78F (sometime the water temp fluctuates between 76F-80F, depending on the room temp)

Filter - None, because the filter that came with the tank had a really strong current (and I mean really really really strong) so I ordered him a nice sponge filter online and am awaiting delivery. Since there is no filter I have been changing 20% to 25% of his water every other day.

Water Conditions - Treated with Tetra Aquasafe
-Ammonia 0.25ppm (although once I tested some dirty tank water, some brand new water from the faucet with Tetra Aquasafe, and some brand new water from the faucet without Tetra Aquasafe and all three of them measured 0.25ppm for ammonia)
- Nitrite 0
- Nitrate 0
- PH 7.5

History - When I got him 3 months ago his dorsal fin was pretty rotted, so I kept his water clean and it started to grow back. It got pretty long but then after a month just stopped growing. It stayed the same for like 2 months and then just recently completely fell off even worse than when I got him, and his tail fin has started to shred at the ends. I ordered his filter a few days ago and then went to the store and bought him some tetracycline. The directions said to have aeration, so I went back to the store and bought an air pump and stone and stuff and set it up today. Then I left for 4 hours and came back and the bubble had appeared. I got scared and decided I should give him his first dose of tetracycline right then (and now his water is yellow, but according to the package that's normal I guess).

So my two ideas of what this is are either 1. Something to do with the fin rot, or 2. Something to do with the air pump since I just set that up this morning. I know this is sorta long but I just wanted to give all the info I thought might be useful. I also took some pictures and hopefully I can figure out how to get them on here.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Last edited:

CONDUCT

Be very afraid...
May 25, 2007
IOWA
It might be the start of Lymphocystis.

Lymphocystis: nodular white swellings on fins or body.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
It could be lympocystis, but pics of that tend to look more "warty" and not so spherical. I'm concerned that it may be bacterial infection. How did he get that patchy area on his side, that looks like missing scales?

On the filter that came with the tank. Is it one of those Whisper filters? There is a control to turn the flow down a bit. However, Bettas can live with a strong current. After they have been swimming around in a vessel larger than a cup they develope their muscles and can even enjoy a current.

He really needs to have pristine water right now. You need to keep his parameters at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 20 or less nitrates. You need to get a good liquid test kit, if you don't have one, because the strips can give grossly inaccurate readings.

The API Master kit is great and lasts for months and months, whereas the strips last a month or much less, depending on how often you test. I would test every day with this guy and maybe twice a day. He really needs pristine water to help fight fin rot and whatever else this is.

Continue with the antibiotic, but still do daily water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrites out. I would do daily water change every morning, 90%, then dose during day according to directions.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
It definitely is a bubble, almost looks like a fluid filled blister. The swelling has bent the fin ray.

Dexter

AC Members
Mar 14, 2009
Southern Cali
Ok, well today the bubble is gone, and I have come to the conclusion that it was an air bubble from the new air pump that I just put in yesterday. When I first set it up he was curious and kept swimming in and out of the stream of bubbles and kept trying to eat the bubbles as well. So my guess is that somehow a bubble got caught in a flap of his fin that was curled and then since the bubble wanted to float up to the top it kinda just pulled his fin up with it. He had me scared for a minute.

Melody Doucet---To answer your questions:

I'm not sure how he got the patch of missing scales on his side. I took him from a friend who bought him at a 99cent store and was keeping him in the container they sold him in. His water was so bad because they never changed it, when I took the lid off to change it the whole kitchen stunk and we had to open the windows to air it out!!! And the poor guy was living in that water!! Anyways, when I took him that patch was already on his side, and his top fin was already rotted away almost down to his back.

The filter is an Aqua-Tech Model 5-15. When I got him I needed something bigger to put him in so I went to Walmart and got a 5 gallon tank kit and the filter was included with it.

The new filter I ordered is a Lustar Hydro Sponge Filter 1 by ATI, and it should be here shortly. I had to order it online cuz I couldn't find it at any stores.

The test kit that I have is actually the API Freshwater Master Kit, so that's good.

Any recommendations about how to get the ammonia down to 0? It measures at 0.25ppm straight from the faucet, so even if I change his water constantly it will still be the same. I have thought about something like Amquel or Ammo-Lock, but I am not sure about adding that on top of the medicine?

The medicine instructions say give Dose 1. Wait 24 hours and give Dose 2. Wait another 24 hours and change 25% of the water. After water change give Dose 3. Wait 24 hours and give Dose 4. Then do a final 25% water change and replace filter cartridge (which I don't have right now but am hoping to get before the meds are done). Would you still recommend daily water changes or should I stick to the medicine's instructions?

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
I really think Jim1212 is right on the money on that bubble. I looked closely at that picture and it was definitely inside the membraneous covering of the fin ray, and the ray did look broken or bent. Now that it has deflated I would bet money that it was a blood blister. That's a relief. There's really no way a bubble from your bubbler could get inside the skin covering that tiny bone.

On the protocol for treating him with antibiotic. I read in another thread that after 24 hours the antibiotic in the water is no longer available so I would do big water change and then dose the tank with the antibiotic. Let it work for 24 hours, then do big change and dose again. Continue that until the full course of treatment is done.

He really needs pristine water, and since you already have ammonia in your tap, which really worries me, you need to keep it to a minimum.

I would also get Prime conditioner. It will work to detoxify the ammonia and nitrites for 24 hours and allow you to change the water every 24 hours and keep him safe from the effects of the ammonia.

Prime is safe to use even when using medication in the tank.

Dexter

AC Members
Mar 14, 2009
Southern Cali
Ok thanks, I will change the water and keep doing the medicine. And I will have to get some of that Prime stuff to use.

hurricanediana

Registered Member
Jul 22, 2011
Hi all- I know this is an old thread but help! My betta is showing the exact same symptoms! What could this be? I read the posts above and it seemed to have ended resolved as the bubble went away by itself. I don't want to risk my betta's health and sit and wait. Any help would be beneficial!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store