Injury questions OK here, too? Shubunkin with wing damage...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
I recently added fish to my pond, and one came home from the LFS with some wing damage. Cute as a button though, so I brought it home anyway. It is a shubunkin, roughly 4" long, excluding tail. She,(or he) has a healing injury to her first fin on her right side. Looks like she may have gotten stuck in something, as she has a scrape on her gill cover(?) as well. If her fin was your hand, attached on the thumb side, she is missing the first two joints on her index finger. All injuries look to be healing well, and she is active and eating.

Here's the question: Do fins grow back, or will it heal as it is, with a little stump of fin on that edge?
Thanks,
Jen

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Thank you, Lupin. My children told me she had 'wing damage', and my husband called it a 'broken flipper'. Last time I looked, fish had neither wings or flippers :) but we have taken to calling it wing damage: I probably should have named it properly :)

Jen

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Is it a "clean" injury? I would watch the fish for signs of infection, if possible ( I know, difficult to do in a pond.) If there are any signs of infection, quarantine and treat the injury so that the other fish don't nip at it. That can happen with injured goldfish.-- just an aside.

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Injured & infected fin...advice, please.

I have a shubunkin, named Indigo, roughly 4" long excluding tail, with an injured fin, and the edge of her gill, too, I think. I have had her (might be HIM) for ten days. She came home with the injury, but it looked to be healing/healed when I noticed it--after I had released her into the pond--and she was already my favorite, so I didn't take her back. She has been eating as much as the other shubunkin and 4 comets, and seems to move comfortably, but today when I got home and went out to count noses, her fin looked HORRIBLE!

I have no inside fish, and the last time I had a pond I didn't know enough to worry...Now that I have read so many threads of sick and injured fishies, I am worried. From the freshwater disease sticky, I think she has a body fungus infection. The injured fin has white fuzzy stuff on it. The gill cover is an odd yellow green color but doesn't look fuzzy or angry red...

Here's what I have so far:
-Got an 18 gallon rubbermaid tub with 10 gallons of water in it, Primed.
-Have no old filter media, but I bought a Whisper 30 filter pump and installed it. It has two pads, one with carbon in it. That one has to go if I medicate, right?
-Bought some Jungle Fungus Clear, as it was recommended in the disease sticky, but would like some confirmation before I go pouring stuff in on my unsuspecting fishy.
-She is eating Tetra Pond pond sticks: analysis-- minimum protein 28%, minimum fat 3.5%, max fiber 2%

She is in the tub, swimming calmly, ate a few pond sticks. Am I doing this right? What do I do now?

Off to clean up the huge water mess I made getting her set up...what can I say, I was a little frantic...I will check back every few minutes...Gotta cut a hole in the lid, too so air can get out but the cat can't get in...
IMG_4726-1.JPG
In the pond this evening
IMG_4728.JPG
In the bowl I used to bring her inside
IMG_4730.JPG
Emergency hospital tank...will it work?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer Indigo.

Jen

IMG_4726-1.JPG IMG_4728.JPG IMG_4730.JPG

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
just posted over in the freshwater illness and disease forum...couldn't remember where I put my original question....It is looking infected. I quarantined as best I can, and need some diagnoses and medication suggestions, please. Pix, there, too.
Jen

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i'd say that's a more than sufficient super fast hospital set up! and she/he even gets a hidey hole coffee mug, lol, that's cute and very innovative!

only thing i would do with that setup is raise the water level, since any evaporation might cause the water line to dip below the intake on the filter and that'll burn out the motor. and make sure to put lots of holes in the lid, or even better, get some screen to use as a lid, which would allow a much better opportunity for off-gassing and air exchange.

make sure to do daily large volume water changes since the filter is new and you don't have any established media to put in it. but if you are going to medicate then daily changes are pretty much going to be necessary anyway.

i'd go ahead and use the fungus med. that fin definitely needs treatment. follow directions on the medication carefully.

as for the weird colouring on the gill..... i have no idea.

and yes, if you are medicating, the carbon in the filter will need to be removed. if that filter takes the slide in cartridges just make a slit in the bottom and shake as much of the carbon out as you can.

keep us updated!

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
"i'd say that's a more than sufficient super fast hospital set up! and she/he even gets a hidey hole coffee mug, lol, that's cute and very innovative!"

That's actually a big gadget crock :) I was desperate for something big enough for her to hide in, that wouldn't end up killing her with nasty stuff leaching into the water.

Says on the bottle dosage may be repeated in 24 hrs after a 25% water change. How often do I repeat? Till the fuzz is gone?

Thanks,
Jen

Last edited:

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
my experience with meds and fish included a 100% daily change but my fish at the time were bettas in bowls and the med i was using instructed as such. but with your hospital tank being uncycled i would go with larger changes than 25% daily to keep the ammonia at zero ppm. you may end up using more meds than would normally be necessary but your fish will be spared from getting sick or possibly passing away due to the ammonia. do you have a water testing kit that used drops like API freshwater master kit? if not, i highly suggest you go get one as soon as possible.

yes, just run the mechanical part of the filter for now. i assume you mean the white floss pad part and/or sponge. maybe throw in some extra filter floss to aid in fine particle filtration.

i would medicate until all the fungus/fuzz is gone and then medicate for another few days if your fish is not too stressed out by being pickled in meds. you want to make sure you've eradicated all the fungus and even though you may not be able to see visible signs, it could still be lurking.

i'll keep my 'finners' crossed for your lil Indigo!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store