Translucent/ Transperent Fish Waste! (HELP!!!)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Angie_xx_Angie

is getting a betta for Xmas!~ ? u ?
Aug 7, 2008
California
Real Name
Angie
I visited Anne's house to check up on my fish, but in the tank, floating, was translucent/ transparent fish waste! WHAT IS THAT?! Is my fish sick, ill, or what?! SOS!!!

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
that writing seems very hard to read, maybe thats just me lol! are you sure its fish waste? and could it possibly have been 'chewed up' by one of the other fish, my goldies used to do that and it would leave almost an outer skin of a poop, which would drift around the tank.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
what type of fish and what are you feeding could be worms infestation or if you feed frozen bloodworms some time there bloodworm casing is expelled with the waste and is separate,.. or might be chewed up and spat out before swallowing?depends on what,..

Angie_xx_Angie

Aug 7, 2008
California
Real Name
Angie
i have a common goldfish in the tank...just one.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
i have a common goldfish in the tank...just one.
How big is the tank? What do you feed your fish? You know when the poo floats, it may just indicate you are feeding floating foods where the air is trapped and when the fish ingests it, the air remains trapped which when expelled, the poo will float. The white appearance can be mucous membrane from its internal organs or internal parasites unless the fish loses its appetite in the last few days abruptly.

Angie_xx_Angie

Aug 7, 2008
California
Real Name
Angie
50 gal, TetraFin Fish flakes. The fish sucks in a lotta air. It goes to the top of the tank and slurps out air, even when there's no food on the surface!

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
I visited Anne's house to check up on my fish, but in the tank, floating, was translucent/ transparent fish waste! WHAT IS THAT?! Is my fish sick, ill, or what?! SOS!!!
Hey Angie. As this is such a general question, it's difficult to give you more than just a general answer. This info isn't enough for us to even tell you whether the fish is sick or not.

When goldfish poo, the waste matter expelled is contained within a clear casing produced inside the digestive tract. That's what forms the poo into normal strands. The color of this poo is also determined by the color of the food the fish is eating. Light colored flake food will come out sort of white, peas and other veggie material will come out green or greenish, bloodworms and similar colored food will come out a dark or pinky red color. All of that is normal. Then... if the poo floats, it means there's gas being produced inside... and, again, that would be cause by the diet the fish gets.

If the fish poo you saw was very long, white, AND stringy.... that is a sign there's something wrong. But it's still not enough to diagnose the cause from this detail, alone. Poor water quality is the first possibility to check on at all times... because that leads to high stress, which can develop into an assortment of other problems such as: internal parasites, bacterial infection, constipation/digestive problems... and so on.

In this thread, you've only said the poo was clear. So that's just the casing alone. You didn't say it was white or even how long it is. So for that reason, I suggest you check water quality issues first (as those are vitally important)... then make sure the fish gets a varied diet... then look for other sources of stress the fish may be experiencing... and also watch for anything else that seems unusual which may further indicate whether or not something is wrong.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store