my goldfish have VELVET!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beabroca

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
the other day, i noticed that my goldfish...had a really big yellowy shiney spot on his underside...i looked it up and seen pictures and i think its definitly velvet.

im upset about it...but what can ya do...i went to the lfs got some medicine for it...kids are crashed in living room...or id go get the med and tell you what its called but it said for the treatment of velvet..and other things on it.

this afternoon, my goldfish...the one who the fish store didnt even know what he was..hes kinda deformed and oddly colored...but thats why i love him so much...anyways he was lifeless on the bottom of the tank...i freaked out!
but he moved when i stirred around him...

hes not active and im very worried about him..

i gradually upped the temp to 82 and the lights have been out all day and last night of course..since i read that the parasite is fed by light...ive been doing faithful 50% wc's everyday...and i took the carbon out of the filter...

im worried and dont know what else i could do..?

any advice?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Velvet Disease (Oodinium)
Synonyms:
Coral Fish Disease, Amyloodinium

Symptoms:
Fine gold-white "dust", rapid breathing, erratic behavior, flashing, clamped fins, lack of appetite

Causes:
Amyloodinium pillularis infests fish in freshwater environment whereas Amyloodinium ocellatum infests fish in saltwater environment. The fish will look like they have been poured with flour as the spots rapidly spread.

This parasite is a dinoflagellate that can easily spread to other hosts hence it is very contagious. Poor water quality can attribute to their rapid reproduction.

Treatment:
Freshwater dip (for saltwater only), hyposalinity (for saltwater only), Copper Sulfate, Atabrine (Quinacrine hydrochloride)

beabroca

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
the copper stuff is what i have got....

beabroca

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
a snail

beabroca

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
and the other 2 goldfish

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
You will need to consider separating the snail as it will not take kindly to copper sulfate. Once a tank has been contaminated with copper sulfate, it is rendered totally unsafe for snails and any invertebrates as traces of copper will remain stuck around the tank. All three goldfish need to be treated for velvet outbreak.

beabroca

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
i read that it was contagious so i am treating the whole tank...would it be okay to put the snail in another tank for now..

the tanks i have are the two froggie tanks (aCf) and the tropical tank..with a mollie, 2 platys and another snail...and a breeder net with 9 fry.

the two betta tanks i have are only 2 gallon and i DONT want to put him/her in either of them

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Move the snail to the tropical tank. Like I said earlier, any invertebrate will not take kindly to high levels of copper sulfate and once your goldfish tank has been treated with copper, snails and any other invertebrates can no longer stay there.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
To put it another way, the snail will die quite quickly. It could be a long time and lots of water changes before you can put it back in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store