Patriot Crab (Cardisoma armatum) Info

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

black_sun

I'm a crayfish in disguise...
Jun 26, 2008
New Jersey
Greetings all,

I've recently acquired a new friend, a Cardisoma armatum. He's a very wonderful little crab, but I'm having trouble finding a lot of consistent/reliable information on the species outside of observations of them in the wild. So far, I've set up a basic tank as per my LFS suggestions and he's doing quite well. But I thought I'd start a thread for anyone who is or decides to keep this species so we can share personal information, information findings, etc.

Anyway, what I have so far:

Scientific name: Cardisoma armatum

Common name(s): Rainbow crab, Indigo crab, Land crab, Patriot crab, Tricolor crab, Soapdish Crab

Origin(s): West Africa. Primarily found in the lower Volta river system and the coastal areas of West Africa. Several sites and LFS will state that they are from Brazil, as well.

Size: Adults can reach up to about 15-20cm/6-8" across the carapace and with proper care, these sizes are seen in captive aquaria.

Personality: Most sites will list this species as an extremely aggressive species. From observations of my own crab, and from those of my LFS and the ones they keep and breed. This species is only aggressive when housed or shipped in poor conditions, large adults (mainly males) are housed together causing territorial issues or when reaching very old age (hey, we all get cranky when we get old and achy). This species can be handled, but with care and will eventually become rather used to its owners (even readily accepting hand offered foods and taking to handling well).

Tank Set-Up: This species is a land crab, so the tank should reflect this. In nature, this species will burrow in mud and sand flats, so it should be given plenty of hiding spots to simulate a burrow. This species will need access to water, and responds well to both brackish and freshwater. This species will not tolerate a regular tank, and will try to escape from it in search of land. Kept in such a tank, it will ultimately perish whereas under proper conditions this is a very long lived animal.

For a single crab, a 20gal should be a minimum, though a larger set-up is preferred as the individual grows. For multiple crabs, a M/F or F/F pair can be housed in a 40gal but a M/M pair would need considerably larger to avoid territorial fights that readily result in death.

Sexing: Males display the normal colors that this crab is usually bought for (purples, oranges, reds), whereas the females are very dull in coloration (it should be noted, both male and female will dull in coloration as they age). Aside from coloration, the normal differences in the underside flap is applicable to this crab species, as it is others (wider - female, narrow/pointy - male).

Diet: Readily accepts prepared and live foods. Pellets, fruits, vegetables, meats, worms, fish and so forth are all accepted by this crab. Because of this, though, housing this species with tankmates may become an issue as it is capable of overtaking fish, smaller crabs, etc and eating them.
A varied diet should be provided for this species to ensure that all necessary nutrients are provided for it.

Availability/Cost: This species is usually wild-caught, so it shows up in stores seasonly. However, some people have successfully bred them (this is not usually achievable by the general hobbyist due to the requirements of the offspring) and may sell them when they're not commonly seen in the stores.

For example, if you live in NNJ there are a few stores in Essex County in which a local breeder regularly supplies this species to them.

You should see these guys sold for about $10-25, size/color/sex affects the cost.

Sources:
www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk
www.aqualandpetsplus.com
www.shrimpcrabsandcrayfish.co.uk
Ely's Fish - NNJ
Absolutely Fish - NNJ

Personal Photos (my own male, Vinny):

Typical male coloration

Vinny's home includes a crushed coral/sand/etc substrate with lots of driftwood, climbing platforms and hides.

Vinny's home also includes a custom built water area. This is generally where he fishes (I give him feeders, bloodworms, earthworms, etc) for supper when it's meat day. He's usually on the land section of his tank for most of the time.

This species LOVES to climb. Vinny often climbs on my shirt and, if allowed, will climb as high as possible. Unfortunately, this usually means using my ears and hair as aid (claws and sharp pointy feet = OWCH). :ROFL:

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
I am so jealous. I have had one for 5 years and I have never been able to get near him.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Thought I would share.
crabman%20002.jpg

crabman%20075.jpg

crabman%20076.jpg

crabman%20077.jpg

[yt]SBIQ-sjjUts[/yt]

crabman%20002.jpg crabman%20075.jpg crabman%20076.jpg crabman%20077.jpg

black_sun

Jun 26, 2008
New Jersey
Sweet!

How large is your crab? How large was it when you first got it? What do you feed it? How does it like that particular set-up (I'm still playing with different ideas with mine, hah)?

But wow, seriously fuzzy legs. Mine isn't any where near as fuzzy (maybe it's an age/gender thing?) lol. But really, very nice looking crab. Love the video, too.

And lots of questions, sorry. X_x

E's_Crab_Shack

Wasteland Messiah
May 11, 2009
Wow those guys are so cool! Ive heard of patriot crabs before but just never seen them on sale anywhere close here. What size tank is that jackiomy?

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
He is about twice the size of yours. I still have his first baby moult which is about the size of a quarter.He was a sweet baby but as he got older he got meaner and I am unable to handle him at all. He is about 5 years old now. His favorite things to eat are Jicama and carrots. He also likes frozen krill and bloodworms. He goes on breaks and doesn't eat at all for weeks and I worry, but he usually molts right afterward. I keep him in a 20L with a bunch of ghost shrimp he totally ignores.

black_sun

Jun 26, 2008
New Jersey
*shakes head* No, I really don't want to think about my guy being twice his current size and still wanting to crawl on me. I have a feeling I might lose a finger or an ear from that encounter, hah.

But yea, the LFS that I got mine from said he'd probably become more aggressive as he aged and hit the equivalent of "elderly". Don't know when that should be though, seems to be mixed info on that. I've seen the lifespan listed as 5 years, 8-10 years and one that said 15 years (but that may be because a lot of the Cardisoma species are sold under the same name, giving different results/experiences). Hmm. ...I should be preparing for a big, mean crab I suppose.

How frequent are or were his molts? (Did he molt like a crayfish, more molts with less time in between as a juvenile, and less molts with more time in between as an adult?)

And I'll have to try Jicama. So, far... mine seems to enjoy soy beans, bloodworms, live fish and pellets (Hikari Algae being the favorite).

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
He has been molting about every 6 months or so. The funniest thing that he does is that after I feed him in his dish he will fill the dish up with stones and plastic jewels He used to line little stones up along the edge of the slate when he wanted something to eat. It seemed like he was offering a trade. I'm sure that wasn't true but he does love to rearrange his tank every couple of weeks. Oh, and I also give him water lettuce, anacharis and hornwort which he likes to eat at his leisure.

E's_Crab_Shack

Wasteland Messiah
May 11, 2009
Yea crabs are funny guys, my red claws absolutely loved carrots. So thats a 10g long with only five gallons in it? I really like that setup with all the rocks

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
It is a 20L with enough water in it to cover his rocks and filters. I have 2 internal filters, one behind the slate that makes a little waterfall and one that lays down on the other end with a spraybar that sticks up and makes it rain. It only rains during the day because it drives me nuts at night. LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store