goldfish boo-boo?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
my mom has 2 goldfish and i think they have ammonia burns. they have red marks on them since she did a water change yesterday but the marks didn't appear until after the water change. she is insisting it's from the clean declorinated water she added because you aren't supposed to clean the water. i am waiting for her to email me some pics. my daughter is very upset(she lives with them half the time) and she called me saying Gramma made her fish bleed. they are in a ten g that i finally got them to take. they were in a 2.5g until a month ago and it was really hard to talk them into upgrading. i tried to give them either a 30 or 20 but they said it was too big because the pet store lady told them they could keep them in 1g each. grr..... anyways, i'll post pics in a minute hopefully. is it possible for amonia burns to appear after a large water change?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I wonder what her water parameters were before a water change. How often do they change the water and how much water volume is replaced (albeit how "large")? Are you sure she used a dechlorinator? It's possible the fish was shocked by the sudden change in water conditions or coincidentally, hemorrhagic septicemia set in. Considering they poop a lot, the water deteriorates rather quickly in a 10g. I had to do water changes almost every 2-3 days in my 10g quarantine as the water conditions deteriorate rather rapidly even with once a day feeding and once a week fasting.

Here's a reference for hemorrhagic septicemia.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1657402&postcount=21

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
she said she is sure she declorinated the water. she changes half the water weekly but only does a gravel vac every other week. i know this isn't enough but i can't win this argument. i had to be sneaky giving the ten g to my daughter and then saying 'well i already gave it to her, so i'm not taking it away now'. they don't measure their water parameters. the fish are about 2" long i think.

thanks for the quick reply, btw. still waiting for pics

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Ohmigosh! How long have they kept the poor fish? What strain is it? Unfortunately, goldfish are not for everyone else. They really need to be retrieved and replaced with smaller tropical specimens instead. I do not believe they have the chance to survive for a long time if your mother continues keeping her fish in this manner.:( Is it not possible to convince them how the fish will be happier with even a 55g from Craiglist? I hope you can convince them in the long run and I have faith in you to do that.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to set an appropriate schedule of water changes if your mother is not testing her water parameters. Even with once a day feeding, she has to cope with almost daily water changes especially to vacuum the possible leftover foods and poo if she wants to keep her fish alive and thriving for a long time (though they'll never reach their full potentials).

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
i know. i was happy when my daughter told me she got a fish of her own but my mom doesn't seem to be very responsible with it. i think i can convince her to take a bigger tank by the end of summer. she's had them since november when the pet store was giving away free goldfish. they also sold her a $60 2.5g tank so not that free, right? i'm not sure what to tell her other than what i have. i think they are a comet and a common. they look the same but one has long fins and one has short fins. i don't know much about goldfish other than they are messy and they are supposed to grow fast. i had five before but they grew from 1 to 5 inches in a couple months and i had to give them to someone with a pond. so can you help me figure out what i should say that will help her see she's not taking care of them right? i have a 30g with filter and heater i have put away for her when she comes to her senses.

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007

my mom said what am i supposed to do?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
my mom said what am i supposed to do?
I can only grimace upon hearing a 2.5 inch fish remaining that way after almost 8 months. You tried your best, Krissy. It's not your fault. If anything, your mother should start listening to you as you drilled her enough common sense why a larger tank is a must for those fish. Both of her fish will reach 18 inches so in the long run, a 75g is really the best option for two. For a 30g, she'd have to stick to fancy ones. Orandas are great. If not, she can try pearlscales but like I said earlier, goldfish are not for everyone else and your mother may be the person who can maintain them for a long time. If she had stuck to your advice or possibly changed to small tropicals, she wouldn't have issues like this until now.

You have to explain to her the importance of test kits, maintenance especially vacuuming and space issues. I know you have tried countless times already to get her to her senses and I commend you for trying your best somehow. It does not hurt to be quite persistent. If possible, print a caresheet along with several references and see if she can be convinced right away.

And a 2.5g tank at $60 is quite ridiculous. Tanks smaller than 10g unfortunately are more expensive as they are more of novelties rather than proper housing systems for any fish.

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
well, i have made some progress with her. it is slow coming though. she's going to do two 50% water changes weekly from now on. i feel bad for the fish. it's fins are clamped but still swimming and eating. i'd like to take them but i don't know where to put them. i will keep at her. I asked if she'd like to trade me for some white clouds or guppies. i might be able to talk my daughter into it

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
That's good to hear at least, Krissy! I am sure you can persuade them later on. Do you have a pond? If not, why not plan one? You can freely relax there with your mother and daughter I am sure when you have time.

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
thanks for all the replies lupin. does it look like an amonia burn to you? (or anyone else) i'd like to try to save this fish(his name is rainbow). my daughter is in love with it. if they get upgraded and don't get killed i will set up another indoor pond for them. i have a 150g indoor pond already but if i put them in there they will just become food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store