Hydrogen Peroxide Works Wonders on Algae-Ridden Filter Tubes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DGalt

AC Members
Jun 1, 2008
Connecticut
I just replaced my filter and I wanted to clean up my old one as best as I could before I put it away in storage. I was having trouble cleaning the hard to reach spots in the tubing though (it's an AC 50, so like the U part of the intake tubing and even the part of the straight tubing that I couldn't get at with an old tooth brush).

So, considering most of it was just brown algae, I thought I'd give H2O2 a try. Worked wonders. Just capped one end of each piece, filled it up with H2O2 and left it over night. Rinsed it out in the morning and it's good as new...looks as clean as when I first got it.

Thought I'd share this in case anyone else was having trouble with those hard to clean spots :thm:

Dec 20, 2006
Michigan
this is very useful. i always have trouble cleaning mine too, i think i'll try this from now on. will it hurt fish after a rinse or anything?

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
a bleach water solution works excellent also thats what i use.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
That is a great idea that i will keep in mind if i need to do that to my filter that i am currently using.

Filters are a great self cleaning mechanism. I usually take a 4:20 bleach:water solution and then hang my filter on the bucket and let it run for a few hours

DGalt

AC Members
Jun 1, 2008
Connecticut
that's where I got the idea from. I've used it in the past to clean BBA, so figuring the brown gunk was diatoms (brown algae) I thought it might do the trick.

I've only used this to clean the tubing since this is the only part of the filter that I can't get at with a sponge or paper tower or something. Coach_Z that's a great idea though. Probably wouldn't be feasible with H2O2 but bleach works just the same I'm sure.

And no H2O2 isn't hazardous to fish, at least not in these quantities. It can be in larger quantities, so don't go dumping a bucket of it into your tank (even if it is just H2O with an extra O, it's a lot more reactive than H2O and will screw with your water chemistry / hurt your fish if you use too much).

chesterthehero

AC Members
Apr 19, 2008
corona, ca
it will kill black beard algae, but if its on a plant, it will also damage the plant (at full strength). on plants, seriously, a squirt of excel works wonders. in 24 hours it turns bright magenta, then slowly fades to a dull pink. then my ramshorns CHOW DOWN on the stuff and its gone!

inkyjenn

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store