fin nipping- i need help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
hello,
I have some confusing behavior going on in my 55 gal community tank , i have posted a similar question before but this problem is still occuring and now other fish are jumping in on it
I have an angel fish who is the biggest fish in my tank a beautiful fish about 5 inches from bottom to top i recently like a month ago added a little baby angel now about an inch and a half from top to bottom. the little one has been constantly harrassing the big one and the big one takes it! he nips all of the big one's fins - the tail - the top fin- the botom fin - the weird thing is that the big one sits there in place and just takes it without caring it seems! now his fins are getting ragged looking - here's the weird part he recently sort of over took one of the gouramis in the tank for "king of the tank" status but now he has backed down and becoming somewhat shy - the part that is making me angry is now two little punk pot belly mollies ( which i can't really stand) have joined in on the fin nipping! The big one just swims away when they go after his fins ! he swims quickly away like he's scared or something! this was suppose to be his tank now! what is going on?! He coul kick their butts! why is everyone trying to eat his fins? otherwise he hasn't been acting sick still feeds aggresively, but is keeping to himself a bit more, but still swims through out the tank - shoul i treat with melafix till his fins start to grow back ? once they come back will they finally leave him alone?
It's just weird he doesn't swim away when the little angel nips him it's almost like he likes it or something i imagine if it hurt he wouln't take it? but if the other fish come to nip him he swims away though - his fins aren't totally gone but they've been mowed down some now
pls help thanks:confused:

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
re post under cichlids?

Funny you've gotten no help, maybe try cichlids section?

I haven't kept angelfish enough to know but I'd guess that the Melafix would help prevent a secondary infection.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store