Just got a dwarf gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lmarshall

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
Yesterday I added a turquoise dwarf gourami to complete my 10 gallon community tank (1 dwarf gourami, 5 neon tetras, 2 otocinculus). I'm new to this fish so I've got a few questions haha.

So far he's doing very well, better than I expected really. He's colored up beautifully, and is showing a lot of nice iridescent blue and bright orange. He's really active, but frightens very easily at loud noises or bumps (like closing the door to the hood a little less than gently). Its actually kind of cute in that pathetic sort of way.

I'm having a little trouble with feeding. I'm finding that the tetras are getting overfed (big swolen bellies), while I'm not sure the gourami is getting enough. The tetras seem to eat most of the food before the gourami really has a chance to get at it, so they're gotten a lot more food than they normally do . I find it pretty easy to tell when a tetra is overfed, or underfed, but the gourami is a bit different. How do I tell when he's adequately fed? edit: also, how can I make sure the tetras don't out-compete him for food?

Also, what should I be feeding the gourami? I've read that as omnivores they need a plant-based supplement to their diet. I've been feeding the tetras TetraColor Tropical Flakes, and frozen brine shrimp once or twice a week. Any reccomendations for the gourami?

Lastly, how prone to jumping are gourami? Before I got the gourami I'd been using a fluorescent light fixture suspended over the tank instead of the hood to get more light for my plants. This left the tank uncovered, which seemed to be fine for the tetras and ottos. Not knowing about gourami habits in regard to jumping I put the hood back on. Are gourami safe in an uncovered tank?

Thanks all!

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
You could try isolating him during feeding, or spread the food all over the tank, until he becomes accustomed to the feeding queues in your house. He'll have no problem getting his share then. I've never had one jump before. You could add in an algae wafer now and then.

They are very beautiful fish, with personality. You should be happy with it.

lmarshall

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
wat is the deal with this fish?
how come people like it so much?
i know nothing much about this fish.
They're really colorful, and very active, which is probably why they are so popular. They're also peaceful to other fish species, which makes them a suitable "centerpiece" fish for a small community tank. They also tolerate a relatively broad range of water conditions, which makes them a good beginners fish.

However, males can be very territorial and aggressive toward other males, this is why I'm only keeping one male. Also, a 10 gallon tank might not support 2 gourami in addition to the other stock I have in there.

lmarshall

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
You could try isolating him during feeding, or spread the food all over the tank, until he becomes accustomed to the feeding queues in your house. He'll have no problem getting his share then. I've never had one jump before. You could add in an algae wafer now and then.
Thanks for the advice! That's sort of what I've been trying to do, I guess the fish just have to get used to a new routine.

They are very beautiful fish, with personality. You should be happy with it.
Agree, this fish is awesome!

lmarshall

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
Another question: do lone male dwarf gourami build bubble nests? Or do they only do this when a female is around?

lime_smash

AC Members
May 22, 2009
Missouri
dwarf gourami are relatively slow eaters. I have to put food all over my tank so that my little gouramis can get a bit before the danios gobble it all. Also mine absolutely love algae wafers that I put in for my otto. You might try a quarter of an algae wafer every once in a while and see if they take to it. They can be rather picky, but I've never had one starve to death.
Also the only time I have seen a male blow a bubble nest was in the presence of a female. But I have heard they may if conditions are favorable to breeding.

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
Another question: do lone male dwarf gourami build bubble nests? Or do they only do this when a female is around?
Yes, when I had my Dwarf Gourami he built one without a female around. Currently I have an Opaline Gourami who is building one with out a female as well.

lmarshall

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
dwarf gourami are relatively slow eaters. I have to put food all over my tank so that my little gouramis can get a bit before the danios gobble it all. Also mine absolutely love algae wafers that I put in for my otto. You might try a quarter of an algae wafer every once in a while and see if they take to it. They can be rather picky, but I've never had one starve to death.
Also the only time I have seen a male blow a bubble nest was in the presence of a female. But I have heard they may if conditions are favorable to breeding.

They do seem to be slow eaters for sure. Mine seems to like to creep up to the flakes and watch them a sec before lunging at them hard enough to make an audible sound and squirting a few bubbles, which is pretty cool to watch. It's neat to see this kind of "hunting" behavior! He also seems to like prowling around in the floating water sprite, I can imagine these guys are just deadly to hapless insects in the wild.

I've found that if I drop a flake or two right in front of him while hes near the surface he gets them no problem before the tetras notice.

Also mine absolutely love algae wafers that I put in for my otto. You might try a quarter of an algae wafer every once in a while and see if they take to it.
Your ottos like algae wafers? Mine never seemed to take to them, and that's not for lack of trying! I've been giving mine cucumber or zucchini, which they seem to like. I'll give the wafers another shot for the gourami sometime.

lmarshall

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
Yes, when I had my Dwarf Gourami he built one without a female around. Currently I have an Opaline Gourami who is building one with out a female as well.
Interesting, I'll have to watch for this. I guess they build them in the forlorn hope a female might show up...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store