Some of my Planted Ripariums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Hi all,

I signed up with a membership a while ago, but I haven't checked in in a while. I started a couple of journal threads about my planted tanks. but I let those slide. I hope to catch up with some updates.

With this post I just introduce a few of my aquariums. Most of my real display tanks are planted ripariums, which are aquariums filled part of the way with water, with air space above for the emergent growth of plants. Unlike paludariums and vivariums, ripariums don't have any real land area--the above-water part is rendered just with plant foliage--so they are not suitable for keeping darts or other herps. They are instead meant for the enjoyment of fish and the emergent growth of marginal aquatic plants.

55 Gallon Riparium Featuring Cryptocoryne

This Riparium has some larger-statured Cryptocoryne species/varieties growing as emergents, as well as a few fully-immersed crypt plants. Fish include Botia loaches and Puntius barbs.

65 Gallon South America Biotope Riparium

This one is a rather loose "biotope". It contains some representative South American plants, such as Echinodorus swords, as well as others used primarily for their form and appearance, such as the Acorus sweetflag and creeping jenny (Lysimacchia).[/QUOTE]

20 Gallon with Cheap & Easy Plants

This tank required just a little effort to plan and set up. I used readily available houseplant and pond plant varieties for the aerial portion, and a few low-tech aquarium plants for the underwater area. I hope that it will be low maintenance.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
thanks!

yes, the 65 has fish that are more or less South American, including a quartet of Apistogramma, groups of two different tetra species and a pleco. there are also some Puntius cherry barbs, which are nice for little splashes of red.

the 20 has a random selection of nano fish--a group of Poeciliopsis prolifica, a trio of Dario dario and a bumblebee goby. i got that shot above before stocking the 20G.

Sunshinessmile

ooooo shiny...
Apr 27, 2009
Denver
Real Name
Logan
those area great! give me thoughts!

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
i have a couple of threads in the Planted Aquariums forum if you wish to see more details.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store