goldfish with red bump oozing white stuff!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

purple_fishy

AC Members
Apr 22, 2007
I posted about a goldfish a few weeks ago whose fins were getting smaller. Now he has a raised red bump with a white center. I don't know if it is pus coming out of the red bump or a worm. The water parameters are still normal, ammonia and nitrite at 0, nitrate stays below 10ppm, and pH is 8.2. I don't have tester for GH or KH.

There are three small goldfish in the tank. It is a 20 gallon long, and I have two filters that equal 280 GPH. They are fed Omega One pellets twice a day. The fish that is sick was a fish from a carnival that ex-DH brought for dd. He was quarantined for 2 weeks in a separate tank and when no issues were seen, he was then moved to the main tank. They are all eating well, but this one just looks off. Besides the red oozy bump obviously. Here is a picture of the fish. You can see the lump and the white ooze, sorry its a bad picture, my camera is not good at taking tank pics.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Hi,

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, I cannot clearly see the lump on your fish. Does it look like tumor? It sounds like tumor to me and in most cases, tumor can overwhelm a fish and the fish eventually succumbs. Tumors are common in goldfish and the reason is not known why. Some carry the tumor for life as long as it does not interfere with its body functioning.

Other possibilities include ulcer, erythrodermatitis or bacterial infection or injury. It is difficult to determine the exact problem without a clear picture. Your water parameters, on the other hand, are okay. Usually, with goldfish kept in bad conditions by previous owners, especially with carnivals despite the goldfish's ability to handle deteriorating water conditions, bad water quality can increase their susceptibility to health issues. For injuries, you could apply iodine solution on it or treat with Melafix but I am pretty sure this is not an injury if it appeared suddenly. What decorations do you use?

Your goldfish are common goldfish which grow to 18 inches by the way although I am sure you realize by now how big they actually get. If you wish to keep them permanently, I'd get a 75g tank. Craiglist has great bargains for used tanks so be sure to see the ads if you plan to upgrade! Allow at least 20g per fish if you are handling comets, shubunkins and common goldfish. Obviously, a 20g tank is out of the question as you would not want a goldfish to sulk due to lack of company to interact with.

purple_fishy

AC Members
Apr 22, 2007
They will be transfered to a larger tank or my friend's pond once they outgrow this tank. I know how big they get from reading on this site and other goldfish sites. The white spot in the picture right underneath the shiny spot is what I am talking about. It doesn't look like a tumor and it is keeps oozing white stuff. Thanks for the reply. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store