anyone heard of or have the T-Rex Rainforest Rapids Vivarium Foam

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
No clue, but the name alone would make me leave it on the shelf... LOL. Seriously though, it looks similar to a product I saw a few years ago for aquariums. A "sponge" filter molded in a shape to cover the back and bottom of the tank, with ledges, caves, whatever as part of the design. Waaay overpriced IMO, and just like colored gravel, I'd get sick of looking at it sooner or later.
I have to admit the idea makes a bit more sense for a vivarium if you don't want to build the background yourself.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
I have one from the same company for biological and mechanical filtration in one of my 'skipper tanks. It is a good idea, I am just waiting to see how it works building up bacteria etc.

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
i just got 2 10 gal log landings for free yesterday. I put 1 and a quarter in our fire belly tank at work. It does just look like a big sponge, and picture on the box looks better than it is.

agent10247

AC Members
Jun 7, 2009
thanks for the reply guys. yeah i opened the box at the pet shop and it did look like a large sponge. the concept was good and the picture on the box did look better more realistic than in person.

Nora

AC Members
Feb 5, 2009
Hi all - I'm a little late to the party, but thought I'd share just the same.

I wasn't much impressed with this line when it came out a few years back, I saw it as it was just starting to be pushed by T-Rex and really thought it to be an over-priced sponge as described. There is a bit more to it though and here is what I learned:

Not your typical sponge - the sponge material for this product is made in Mexico for some very deliberate reasons, apparently the US and a number of other countries require various flame retardent and other chemicals in the sponge production itself, so the company went looking for a place where it could produce the foam without adding anything that could harm even the most fragile of amphibians. I myself don't find the paint attractive (although it is the same used for safety tested infant rattles and such or the foam itself all that good looking in the box but having seen it used in a number of systems it is a great medium for holding/growing a variety of plants which in turn adds to filtration and once fairly covered in plant matter it looks good..
I still wasn't convinced regarding the usefulness of this product especially in comparison to so many of the DIY set ups I've seen over the years. The one thing that impressed me more than any other were the unsolicited testimonials of the pdf breeders who were using it at that show and in their facilities. One in particular - for the life of me I cannot pull the name out of my tired brain right now, but if it is of importance to anyone I can look through some old reciepts as I bought a slew of supplements from them at that show which was where the occaision for hearing about the trex foam system came in - anyway, they swore by the stuff. They had hundreds of froglets for sale and went on (and on and on) about how much increase in breeding and survival they had using those filters - raved about it actually and had a number of them set up that were pretty impressive in exo terra viv's back then.

The story of its development was pretty impressive if you have ever seen any of The Herpetocultural Library books or heard of Philippe De Vosjoli you might be surprised to learn that this product was his idea - took it to a fellow at T Rex over dinner one night and hand a hand in the development all the way through - don't know for sure if it is still so, but at the time he had never had a hand in product development or put his name to any product beyond books on care and keeping despite decades of influential research and experience, this was sort of his brain child.

So that's it, a brief bit about the foam units and what I saw/learned. I've always thought I might try them out, seem like a great option for breeding not just amphibians but fw shrimp and some other smaller fragiles as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store