fish question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

-[AnThOnY]-

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
New Orleans, LA
I have recently set up a 47 gallontall aquarium, thats 30" tall, what type of sw fish if any swim more towards the top of the water, so far the stock list includes 2 seahorses (which i figure will swim pretty high), 2 cardinal fish, and 2 mandarin gobies for fish not including inverts

cant think of anything that swims that far up in the column but any ideas would help alot

Robert04

Aspiring Self Proclaimed Expert
Dec 31, 2008
I think you need to lookup compatible fish for your current stock and go from there. If it isnt over stocked already.. I'm not going to be the judge of that though. hopefully someone more experienced will shed some light on this topic for you.

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
seahorses probably wont do much swimming, just hovering around different spots. and between them and the mandarin dragonettes your gunna be buying or breeding a massive mount of live coepods. not many reef fish are surface dwellers, since all the action is down on the reef, but im sure someone will chime in with personal experience

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Hopefully you have not already purchased your stock suggestions. If you are going to stay with wanting seahorses, your tank is good for a pair of Hippocampus erectus or kuda. You do not want to add other fish unless it is a pipefish. Seahorses are slow eaters and the reason you don't want other fish with them is that they will compete for the food. To keep seahorses you also need to be ready for any sort of seahorse illness and if you go to syganthid.org or seahorse.com you will get suggestions on what meds to have on hand. Reason being that when a seahorse gets sick you can't really afford the time to go out and find the proper meds for them. Just MO, hope the info is useful. and I have kept seahorses so this is from my experience and research.

-[AnThOnY]-

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
New Orleans, LA
the idea is for slow fish to be with the sea horses that like you said wont out compete them for food, the mandarins and cardinals arent fast at all, i already have the 2 cardinals and a mandarin that have been in an 18 gal for about 6 months

and as far as meds for the sea horses im already working on getting what i need, ive been doing research for the past 3-4 months and feel like ive got a pretty good grasp, seahorse.org helped a good bit

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Be careful.. while a mandarin may seem slow to you now, when compared to a seahorse they are lightning fast and will easily out compete seahorses for copepods. I would be very worried about putting a mandarin with seahorses unless you have a very large refugium for copepod reproduction.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store