Fish tank in SU - health of the fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

corrieberry

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
London
OK so I have a thread over in the general cold & temperature water forum about a fishtank in my SU that I've been given permission to try clean up. The tank is basically in really bad condition, and has five fish in it.

The fish are in mixed condition. The newest addition looks fine (gold comet) and apart from just being in bad condition I'm not too worried about it.

Another comet/shubunkin has a bent tail and is red all along the back - I reckon it might be septicaemia. The last comet/shub is looking OK apart from the scales look all rough and don't reflect any light.

The last two fish are a species I've never seen before. They look a bit like lionheads but don't have a growth on their heads and are a strange colour. The largest has a severely bent spine and its eyes are almost popping out of its head. It rests on the gravel for short periods then swims, and carries on with that pattern. The smaller is in terrible condition. It has a really badly bent spine, and doesn't swim - it just lies on the gravel.

As of yet I don't have any water parameters, don't know the volume (about 40G is a rough estimation), and haven't had a chance to get any photos. I am going to go in tomorrow to try get volume and photos, and will do a 10% water change. My old test kit just ran out of ammonia tester so I have to wait for the refill to come before I do them (just for ease of transport). It should arrive Tuesday.

(Edit by Kashta): Here is a link to that thread: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197196

Last edited by a moderator:

corrieberry

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
London
The tank is about 30G (120cm x 30 cm x 30 cm). Will add photos when I get home.

corrieberry

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
London
Ok so photos...

First is the full tank.
Next is largest of unidentified fish with bent spine etc. At the bottom you can see the smallest which just sits and can't swim really.
Third smallest unidentified - note the large eyes.
Fourth the worst of the two shubs/comets - you can see the red septicaemia(?), and the damaged tail at the top.
Fifth, bent spine again.
Sixth damaged tail and redness (bad pic, sorry)
Seventh is the 'less shiny' shub/comet.
Last is the relatively healthy comet.

P6150007.JPG P6150011.JPG P6150009.JPG P6150019.JPG P6150021.JPG P6150023.JPG P6150018.JPG P6150012.JPG

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
They appear to be horribly deformed ranchu goldfish. Poor babies.

Kristina

corrieberry

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
London
I fed them yesterday just after doing a WC and I noticed that when they were eating off the surface, huge bubbles were coming out of their gills. I've never seen this in mine...is it normal? May be that they just swallow a lot more air than mine do...mine also get a sinking food. If it is a problem, how do I sort it out?

The little Ranchu is swimming a lot more, but I've noticed he only has one part to his tail - the other is completely missing. He'll never be able to swim properly (unless it grows back...but it looks like it never even existed) - will he still have a good quality of life provided the tank stays clear? I have some clove oil, but it really is a last resort. I could rehome him into one of my own tanks, but this isn't ideal as my housemates are starting to tire of all the tanks dotted around the place.

Last edited:

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
corrie, the bubbles are normal for surface foods. my goldfish splash around and gulp and burp and make an enormous bubbly mess when i feed floating food. they're totally silent when fed anything sinking. so i don't think its anything to worry about.

as for the little ranchu, as long as he can still swim well, i wouldn't worry too much about him. he's made it this far with an injured tail. if he's still able to be social, eat normally, etc, he should live a long happy life.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
corrie, the bubbles are normal for surface foods. my goldfish splash around and gulp and burp and make an enormous bubbly mess when i feed floating food. they're totally silent when fed anything sinking. so i don't think its anything to worry about.

as for the little ranchu, as long as he can still swim well, i wouldn't worry too much about him. he's made it this far with an injured tail. if he's still able to be social, eat normally, etc, he should live a long happy life.
I agree with Iris completely. I also notice with floating foods, the poo floats. This makes my maintenance a little easier which kinda amused me.:lipssealedsmilie: And my goldfish get everything they want from specialized commercial goldfish foods to plants and algae.:thumbsup:

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
In picture #4, does it look to anyone else like the skin is totally denuded over the operculum? That looks like exposed subcutaneous tissue/muscle tissue to me... is that what I'm seeing?

He does look like he's septic to me. If he is, should he be on broad spectrum antibiotics? I'm not an expert, by any means, and I defer to the pros judgement... I just get a little nervous... I just had a Brochis go through treatment for septicemia.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Melody, that fish is actually what would be called a "pinkie" by shubunkin breeders. They're kind of unusual. Sometimes you'll get a fish that's not a matt, with clear operculum, blue skin base and transparent scales, but rather, a fish with completely transparent scales & skin. This causes the pink muscle color to show through from beneath. It's normal, and nothing to worry about unless the fish shows unusual bloodiness.

Here is another photo of a pinkie, from David at goldfishgarage.com. Scroll to the bottom:
http://goldfishgarage.blogspot.com/2008/09/better-bristol-shubunkin-pictures.html

For a pinkie, he looks normal to me. No red streaking in the fins or bleeding at fin bases. Just overall pinkness. :)

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Wow!! That's amazing! Thanks, Iris, for showing me that. I never knew there were so many kinds of goldfish until I started reading these threads in General Cold & Temperate Water.

Reading about them and seeing all the photos here... sure makes me want to keep some goldies. I wish I could have a big tank and "befriend a feeder" or two.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store