Silly Ory

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

corrieberry

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
London
I noticed the other day Ory (my oranda) had a really bloodshot bit on his wen. It looks like he got it caught on something and pulled too hard. I decided to leave him in the main tank for a bit and see if it got better, but when I got home from college today it looked worse.

I've got him in quarantine so I can keep the water as clean as possible without having to do massive water changes on the main tank everyday, and was wondering could I put one of his friends in with him? (He looks lonely!) I'm going to be doing 50% water changes daily and as soon as he looks better it'll back in with the big boys!

P6150031.JPG

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
What size is the quarantine tank? Personally, I think it'd be better to keep him separate since other fish sometimes become aggressive to tankmates with injuries.

corrieberry

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
London
He is in a 6G - I don't have anything any bigger, and there's no way I'll be able to afford it.

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
He looks small enough that I think he'll be fine in the 6g temporarily with the daily water changes. You certainly don't want to put another fish in there though. I hope he gets better soon, he's a cute little guy.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Corrie, what are your water parameters in the main tank? What about the quarantine tank right now? What test kit do you use? Did you add anything new to the tank? What decorations do you have? What are his tankmates?

corrieberry

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
London
My water test kit was put out of action yesterday by an inconsiderate/stupid housemate - I've ordered a new one which should arrive today/tomorrow. I feel like a kid playing a guessing game without it, but nothing to be done. It's an API master test kit anyway.

I finished exams on Friday (my triumphant little boast) and to celebrate I bought some anubias following a discussion in the thread about my substrate. Apart from that the newest thing in the tank is another oranda which went in about two weeks ago, or possibly more. She had been in quarantine for about two weeks before that, and seemed fine, so unless by adding her I upset him, I think that should be OK? They've actually been swimming up and down together, so I thought they were great friends!

Ory has been behaving quite strangely, actually - he was hiding in the corners behind my plants when the light came on. I only have the light on for about four hours in the evening, I don't know what the bulb is - it came with the tank. It's yellow and fluorescent if that helps...? This was one of the reasons I bought the plants - so there would be more shade once they grew up a bit. I've been putting a teatowel on top of the cover over the tank inside the cabinet to give them a bit more shade on one half of the tank, but haven't had time to see if it makes him any happier before he got this injury...he definitely doesn't like the light though, cos if I put it on in the QT he gets all jumpy.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
In my opinion, a longer quarantine time by at least 4-6 weeks would be a much better safeguard than less than four weeks as there are some health issues that will not start becoming noticeable until the later weeks or until the fish eventually becomes stressed due to a few changes in its environmental conditions in which case some pathogens begin to set in as they hit the weakened immune system.

Corrie, could you please post a picture of the main tank where Ory lives? This will save the time to determine what decorations you have which could have potentially caused his bloodshot wen. If you are certain this is indeed an injury, daily water changes help a lot.

I am sorry about your test kit. I guess you should tell her not to touch any of your fishy stuff.:D

corrieberry

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
London
Hehe she keeps her hamster stuff in my cabinet...maybe I should usurp it!

I didn't know two weeks was too short. I'll remember that for next time. I'll get a new photo tonight when I go home...otherwise there is an old one on a thread called "New Tank - pic heavy" (I'm on my phone and can't post links).

There is one ornament in there that is like a little hut, but he fits through it quite easily. As he grows he won't but I was going to take it out. Guess I will do that tonight - at least my ADFs will be happy.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul

corrieberry

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
London
The main tank parameters are pH 7.6, nitrates 40 ppm, nitrites 0 ppm and ammonia 0 ppm. The QT are pH 7.6, nitrates 20 ppm, nitrites 0 ppm and ammonia 0.25 ppm. I don't understand why the ammonia isn't 0 - this was about half an hour after the water was changed?

If it's just an injury related thing, do I need to feed him anything special or should I give him what he normally gets? (Aquarian advanced nutrition goldfish pellets and peas on Fridays).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store