Fantail problem??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ubermod

AC Members
May 16, 2007
I am having trouble finding out what could be wrong with my fantail goldfish. She appears to have a tiny white raised spot on her tail fin just near the tip. I know it isn't fin rot as i've seen a treated this before and i'm less likely to think its white spot or ick as she has only the one and doesn't look like shes covered in salt like grains. I had this same problem a month ago one tiny white spot on the top of her tail fin so i did treat it with a white spot, ick med. But i really dont think it was or is at this time ick.

Shes is the only fish in the tank, eating normal and normal behaviour, the tank is running fine,

22 gallon tank, fluval u3 filter (carbon, nodes, sponge) air stone
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
10 nitrate
7.2 ph

I maintain my tank well so its not due to water quality.

I'm really puzzled this is the fourth time shes had one of these spots appear then they go??? i just read about carp pox?? maybe it could be? does ick come as one spot in early stages? Any help would be great thanks

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
I would suggest doing a large water change and run some fresh activated carbon to pull out any remaining medication. Don't use that again (whatever it was) for a while yet. Treating with meds is not a good starting point and this can actually cause other problems you don't want for the fish.

Next, add 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon to the tank.... measure out the amount and predissolve it fully in a bucket of tank water. Add that in slowly wherever the water flow is strongest. Then give this a few days to see if this clears up or if anything new develops.

Before going any further, I'd like to get more specific info.....

What kind of test are you using to check the parameters?
What is your water source and how do you condition it?
How long has the tank been set up? Is it cycled?
How long have you had the fish there?
What would you estimate is the age of your fish?
What do you normally do for tank maintenance and how often?
Also, please list the actual medications you've used and other treatments you've given.. when.. what for.. etc.
Were you running carbon in the filter while you added the ich medicine?
What was the name of the ich medicine you used?
How long was your treatment for ich and what was actually done?

I'd also like to see a photo of that area if you could manage that. It's a lot easier for us to give you better advice when we can actually look and see the appearance ourselves.

Ich does start as a single spot, which will spread into others as the parasite populates. But what we really need to know is if it seems grainy at all. Is the spot smooth? Blotchy? Fuzzy? Do you see anything else that seems different, particularly around the eyes, mouth, gills, belly, or finnage?

If this is not ich, then flex/columnaris is the next likely possibility. That's what the salt treatment is for before proceeding with that any further, as salt helps prevent infection and would keep it from spreading. Pristine water and salt will also clear up a mild case. This also may be viral, so it will help us to find out the answers to the questions I've asked before going any further.

ubermod

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Hi thanks for the info. I'll try to give you some more details......

*I use API test strips to check my water quality, 5 in 1 for the NO2, NO3, ph, KH, GH and use APH test for NH3/NH4.
*I use tap water conditioned with tetra aqua safe.
*The current tank has been set up and running since january and is fully cycled.
*The fish was introduced into the tank after cycling a month after set up and she is between 2 and 3 years old.
*Tank maintenance is every other day remove algae and visible waste and 20% water change every 7days with a gravel clean too.
*I have treated in this current tank a mild case of fin rot using King britsh fin and rot meds adding every day for 3 days till symptoms improved, followed by a 2 day adding of melafix to aid fin regrowth this was in march. Then recently the use of king british white spot/ich meds on 5th may using as instructed, add every 3 days until spots clear then one more dose while spots are not visible. I dosed the tank 3 times with this treatment.
*I always remove carbon when treating then adding fresh once done.

The spot is less visible today acting in the same way as ones shes had before, the spot isn't fluffy, its just a pure white smooth looking spot, she has nothing else on her, no marks or more spots anywhere. The spot (that i thought was ich and treated for) returned about 2 weeks later in the same spot on the tail fin making me think that it cant be ich plus would ich just appear in the tank without introduction of any other fish or plants? because all my plants are artificial and she is the only fish in the 22 gallon tank.

I've used salt in old tanks so i'm aware how good it can be but i'm a little un-educated on how to use it, i know the amount to add and after water changes know the ratio to add back, but how long do you keep adding for and since salt doesnt leave the tank, is it all removed over time with water changes?

i'll try and get a photo but shes not the greatest model at keeping still :)

Thanks for helping.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
ubermod, this could be one of just a few things, based on your description.
this is definitely not ich, and i wouldn't recommend trying to treat it using ich meds.

one possibility is carp pox, a type of herpes virus that causes large, smooth, waxy growths on the fins and body. these come and go, are usually not contagious and won't harm the fish unless they appear on the gills or in the mouth. they can sometimes be reduced by raising the tank temperature.

another possibility is keratosis, a skin condition that humans get as well. it is simply a thickening of the skin and in fish, it appears as smooth, waxy white bumps on the fins. they most often appear on the edges, near the larger/leading fin rays. this condition is not contagious, is absolutely harmless and the bumps will disappear on their own. it is quite common in goldfish; nothing to worry about. it sometimes results from bottom sitting, sort of like a callus in humans.

i would watch the spot and be sure it does not change color, bubble up or burst. if she eats and acts normally, i wouldn't worry about it. however, as Kashta said, a photo will definitely help us be sure whether it is fungus, virus or keratosis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store