*Help!* 4-Bumblebee Gobies + First salty experience = 900,000 questions!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oO.Crim.Oo

I ♥ my fishies!
Jan 10, 2008
Randallstown, MD
Real Name
Natosha
Ok, so here's the deal...

*Note: I have NO experience with Brackish or Saltwater setups--but much when it comes to freshwater.

On Sunday, I obtained (well, saved from the porcelain:bs:) 4 little (-/+ 1") bumblebee gobies. The gentleman told me that he keeps them in a brackish tank with about 1tsp of salt per gallon and that was it. That's all I know about them and their 4 guppy (3f & 1m) tank mates (which I obtained as well--
apparently they were used as a live food source for the gobies--gobies supposedly eat the baby guppies). I was extremely hesitant to get these guys because of the fact that I have little to no knowledge of their needs or a brackish setup. However, after much debate, I decided that I had this 5 gallon marineland hex tank sitting empty and I was confident that I could quickly find the necessary information to get these guys happy. So, on the way home from nabbing the fish, I stopped at petco and grabbed a box of Instant Ocean Marine Salt since all I had here at the house was "Aquarium Salt" which I figured wasn't what they needed. Now, after thinking about it, who knows if the guy meant plain ol' aquarium salt or marine salt (that he kept them in). So, I mixed up 4 1/2 tsp of the Instant Ocean salt in a small container, filled the tank with declorinated water and added the container of salt water after the tank was almost full. I turned on the filter (which I seaded from another filter--from a freshwater tank), plugged in the heater, added a lava rock, stuck the thermometer in there and waited an hour or two. Whew. Hopefully, that was the right process! I then drip acclimated the gobies and the guppes to the tank water. After dripping them, I obviously had lowered the water a good couple of inches, so I filled it back up with tap water (and prime). So that's when I realized that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I assume that those 2 inches of freshwater probably wasn't a big deal this time, but I probably need to be adding brackish water when I replace water. Can someone explain this whater change process? I'm doing a lot of research on brackish setups, but I figured starting a detailed thread might get me faster results. Now, I realize that I need a hydrometer or a refractometer. Which do I get--is one better than the other for maintaining a brackish setup?

Any tips, suggestions, etc? Anything I need to know immediately? Please, tell me anything! Can these gobies live in the 5 gallon hex tank? Do they really eat the guppy babies? Is it wise to keep the guppies with the gobies? What do the gobies prefer to eat? I noticed that they are finicky about flakes. They eat them and then spit them out. I was a bit concerned this morning that they haven't ate anything so I nabbed a ramshorn snail from one of my tanks, smashed it and dropped it in their tank, and the gobbies seemed to enjoy it. I'm guessing I might need a live food source--perhaps start a worm culture? Also, the tank temperature is hanging at 82. Is this ok for the gobies? The heater is a little 2-5 gallon heater and it's not adjustable so I'm hoping it's ok. Can I use my freshwater test kit to test this tank's nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, and pH?

Ok, off to search and search and search for brackish setup and Bumblebee Goby info. Thanks in advance for any replies! :worthy:

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
The BBGs I have kept never required live food, they did fine on frozen bloodworms, mysis and brine shrimp. If you want to spring for a refractometer, go for it - they are much more accurate than the swing-arm hydrometers, and a lot easier to use IMO. You will basically be doing a fishy cycle so keep an eye on water params. Once you get some method of measuring the SG, you can probably keep it anywhere between 1.005 and 1.012 or so and the BBGs will be happy. Your FW test kit should work fine. 82 might be a little warm, but they'll probably be alright.

oO.Crim.Oo

I ♥ my fishies!
Jan 10, 2008
Randallstown, MD
Real Name
Natosha
Thanks Sploke!

I'll go ahead and order the refractometer.. I'm totally down with ease and it's only $10 more.

You said "fishy cycle" and I cringed. Ugh! To jump the cycle on this tank, I took one of the filter pads from my 29g and cut a portion to fit the filter on this tank. Will the salt kill off the beneficial bacteria since it was from a freshwater tank? I really don't like the idea of fishy cycling. I guess I better grab my test kit and see what's going on in there now that I know I can use the FW kit. I get the impression that the refractometer is necessary for maintaining SG and therefore necessary for doing water changes. I'll likely not have the refractometer for a few days (hopefully by the end of the week), is there a way of doing water changes without it? If I'm doing a fishy cycle, I'd really be more "comfortable" with it if I can change water a couple times a day....

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Pink burns my eyes.

They'll be perfectly fine in a 5g. Set up a few small territories and watch them squabble amongst themselves.

Forget flake food, you'll need frozen/live food. They can be a bit picky, but I've found frozen bloodworms and live blackworms to be a guarantee hit. They can eat guppy fry, but you shouldn't bother.

I've always thought refractometers were an unnecessary luxury when it comes to brackish, but hey, if you have those extra bucks.. I've pretty much stop believing the whole BBG needs brackish water myth years ago and have been keeping mine in freshwater since.

Gobioides

AC Members
Oct 27, 2008
Yes, the salt from the brackish water should have killed the bacteria from the freshwater tank. You can't move a tank's SG more than .002 a week without forcing it to re-cycle.
The gobies will eat small live and frozen foods. They should eat newborn guppy fry. I had one that had learned to eat endler fry, and she was much larger than any of the others that were kept with her.
Are they fancy guppies? I've seen BBG's do some nasty things to fancy guppy fins. Wild/feeder gups get nipped to, but it's not nearly as bad.

Just out of curiosity, Vampie, how long have you kept your BBG's in freshwater?

srikamaraja

AC Members
Nov 30, 2006
There is one species of "Bumblebee Goby" that is exclusively freshwater, and contaminates shipments of the 'brackish' Bumblebee Gobies.

(I believe it is brachygobius xanthomelas, I may be wrong.)

As long as the water is slightly alkaline and hard, they should be fine without salt.

Last edited:

Gobioides

AC Members
Oct 27, 2008
I've never heard of B. xanthomelas (the Burmese or spotted BBG) contaminating shipments of B. doriae, but I guess it's possible. It would be pretty obvious though. They don't look the same.

oO.Crim.Oo

I ♥ my fishies!
Jan 10, 2008
Randallstown, MD
Real Name
Natosha
Yes, the salt from the brackish water should have killed the bacteria from the freshwater tank. You can't move a tank's SG more than .002 a week without forcing it to re-cycle.
The gobies will eat small live and frozen foods. They should eat newborn guppy fry. I had one that had learned to eat endler fry, and she was much larger than any of the others that were kept with her.
Are they fancy guppies? I've seen BBG's do some nasty things to fancy guppy fins. Wild/feeder gups get nipped to, but it's not nearly as bad.

Just out of curiosity, Vampie, how long have you kept your BBG's in freshwater?
They are indeed fancy guppies... I guess. Frankly, I've never kept nor been interested in guppies. I wouldn't have taken these guys if it I could have avoided it. However, I don't like to see any fish get flushed.

So, in other news... no refractometer yet, but it's on it's way! I've been doing daily water changes to try to help with the cycling. However, I woke up this morning to a dead goby. *Sigh* After close inspection, I do believe there are more issues than I was informed of (well, I wasn't informed of ANY). It looks like one (maybe two) of the guppies has ich, possibly fin rot, and one looks like it has a parasite protruding from it's anus. SoOoOoOo.... now what? I've never had ANY of these issues with my freshwater tanks. I completely feel like a chit for taking these guys in now, but I'm going to try to pull them through! What treats ich in a brackish tank? I know salt an temperature increase does wonders in a freshwater tank, but this already has (marine) salt and a temp of 82 degrees. Also, what about the fin rot and possible parasite? On hand I have Prazipro, flubendazole, melafix, and pimafix.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store