Couple convict questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dean

AC Members
Nov 4, 2003
Red Deer, Alberta
Visit site
A few questions, what would be good scavengers for a group of convicts? also the larger the group (about 10) the less aggrestion, right? Would a school of giant danios be good target fish? Tank size would be around 135 gallons. Thanks

SayersWeb

Aquarium & Pond Keeper
Dec 4, 2003
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
How about Clown Loaches and Tiger Barbs?

SayersWeb

Aquarium & Pond Keeper
Dec 4, 2003
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
From what? Poor water conditions? :confused:

How big are your convicts? Put two Tiger Barbs in for every Convict and you should be fine..... unless your Convicts are already very large (for Convicts that is).

Last edited:

SayersWeb

Aquarium & Pond Keeper
Dec 4, 2003
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
Convicts cannot touch the Tiger Barbs, they are too quick. The Convicts ignore the Loaches for the most part.

BTW... with 10 Convicts, they will be fighting each other. Why would you want so many Convicts?

SayersWeb

Aquarium & Pond Keeper
Dec 4, 2003
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
Hmmm... Well my Clowns got lucky I guess. Heck, my full grown Midas cichlids have bred at least 20 times and not hurt the Clown Loaches. Nor did the Festaes when they were breeding.

BTW... Why would you want so many Convicts? They are the easiest cichlid to breed. One male and one female... a little water... and you have fry. Why not add some other cichlids into the mix?

SayersWeb

Aquarium & Pond Keeper
Dec 4, 2003
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
Not in my experience. They are fiesty little fish, especially for their size, and can hold their own against bigger cichlids. But they are not quite the terrors you have been told they are.

Most cichlids get very aggressive when breeding. Back when the Midas were first breeding and about 3/4 grown they ruled the tank when they were breeding. All of the other fish (3 full-grown Oscars, a pair of Festaes, large male Jaguar, and a 22" black Pacu) were all at one end of the 180 gallon tank and the Midas pair protected the rest.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store