Jpappy789's 20L college tank "build"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Ok, so it's not really a build but I guess it's going to be a work in progress.

Next fall I am saying goodbye to my hometown of 18+ years and will be stuck in the real world, well kind of...so, my 30 gallon is going to be downsized and the with the 10 and 55 they will most likely collect dust in storage (if there is enough room). Luckily, the university allows aquariums up to 20 gallons in the dorm rooms which is the perfect size for my plan:

6 cherry barbs
10 dwarf chain loaches
and plants TBD (most likely whatever I still have left)

Eh, maybe a little tight for stocking, but I'm not going to just give away my loaches for a fraction of what they're worth. And I think the barbs balance the tank nicely.

So today I hit up Petco and picked out the tank (Aqueon) for $39.99. Not a bad price for an unused tank. I was trying to get one off of CL but most were either too pricey, part of a package with useless items/fish, or the seller was unresponsive for days. I was getting antsy and decided I might as well pick up a new one. I bought the black "Manhattan" stand (thanks to Vampie's thread) for $44.99 and I'm suprised it's so light...thats good as I don't want to carry a heavy stand up X-amount of stairs to my dorm room. I also got the glass top (20 bucks) and the AGA twin-tube light fixture for only $50...it was originally priced at $84.99! I am going to replace the bulbs though, they look a little old. In all, about $170 spent. Luckliy I will be able to use whatever random assortment of filters/heaters I have on my existing tanks to save money on that portion of the new tank.

So now I have to wait. I figure there's no use setting anything up right now as it will have to get moved in 2 months anyways. Eventually I will have to part with the rest of my fish (female bettas, BN plec, flying fox, lone oto, and whatever is around in my 55) but I'm not really looking forward to that part. I'm also dreading the move itself, so I would appreciate any advice on how to move fish eight hours away. I'm so glad everything is under 2" though...

Phew, that was a mouthful. :grinyes:

Sunshinessmile

ooooo shiny...
Apr 27, 2009
Denver
Real Name
Logan
Personally I would have said screw it and gone with your 30. I had a list of critters that I was not allowed to have, fish, hermits, lizards ect.... My floormate even had a rat. Fact is unless your RA is a complete @$$ or your going to a school where weekly random dorm checks are done you most likely would have been ok... not to mention not many people could tell a 30g from a 20g unless you have seen them side by side :) Good luck dorm life is SOOO much fun... :hitting:

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Haha, well it wasn't just the rules but I figure 6" of living space is going to be a lot when stuck in a dorm room. The less room it takes up, the better. Plus, once I get out of dorm life I'll have another tank to add to my collection ;)

JoeLaX28

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Ithaca, NY
Real Name
Joe
I don't know where you're going to school, but at Penn State, our rooms didn't have any left over space big enough for a tank that big. I could probably live with my 5 gal hex on my desk comfortably, but other than that, I doubt it. I had so much more room when I moved downtown.

Now, I'm off to grad school and my fiance has agreed to two more tanks, yey!

Let us know how it works out for you, I'm interested in this one!

luckydud13

Did you hear that?
Jun 20, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Good luck pap

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I don't know where you're going to school, but at Penn State, our rooms didn't have any left over space big enough for a tank that big. I could probably live with my 5 gal hex on my desk comfortably, but other than that, I doubt it. I had so much more room when I moved downtown.

Now, I'm off to grad school and my fiance has agreed to two more tanks, yey!

Let us know how it works out for you, I'm interested in this one!
Michigan Tech

I've looked at dorms live as well as pics and I think I could squeeze in something 30x12"...

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Cant wait to see pics.

:popcorn:

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
sounds like a great tank Jpap, cant wait for pics! What substrate are you going with?

(and BTW, congrats on the graduation!)

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Thanks Noods! :)

I'm not quite sure yet. I was thinking something more plant oriented as I might be able to squeeze my budget. As this is only a 20 gallon tank I could probably get by. I'm open for suggestions.

The lighting is going to be 34w (2x17). I'm not sure if I am going to go with the dry ferts or liquid. Most likely I won't have any Co2, probably just excel, as I wont have much room for bottles and I haven't had much luck with it so far...I think I'm jinxed when it comes to DIY.

Plants will probably be an assortment of the following:

cryptocorynes
anubias
dwarf sag
HM
vals
java ferns
rotala indica

I am not sure about the substrate color. I like light colored for natural, but I'm thinking something darker would really make the cherry barbs pop!

Thoughts?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store