Switching Coral list again

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cjtabares

AC Members
Oct 17, 2007
Bristol. RI
This was my list
Bali Green Slimmer (Acropora yongei)
Birdsnest (Seriatopora stellata)
[FONT=&quot]Dendrophyllia (Dendrophylliidae)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Orange Ricordea Mushrooms (Ricordea florida)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Frogspawn Coral (Euphyllia paradivisa)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Branching Hammer Coral (Euphyllia parancora)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Brain Coral ([/FONT][FONT=&quot]Lobophyllia sp.) or (Trachyphyllia sp.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Clove Polyps (Clavularia sp.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Candy Cane Coral (Caulastrea furcata)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Plate Coral (Cycloseris sp.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Or[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fungia Plate Coral (Fungia sp.)[/FONT]

My tank is 100gal (72''x18''x18'') with a Nova extreme pro 72'' T5 fixture 468 watts 6-39 watt 10,000°K, 6-39 watt
460 nm actinic

Ok well i was thinking and i might take the frogspawn and the hammer off the list and go with more sps corals. Are there any i should stay away from with my light or anything that is real hard to care for?

I realy like the look of the branching corals, like the birdsnest, and the bali green slimmer. Any suggestions?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Get rid of all mushrooms unless you have one spot isolated by sand to grow the mushrooms on. In a 6' tank, I think that is definately possible to do.

Birdsnest are great, fast growers, easy to care for. Most montiporas are lower light SPS corals and grow fast as well. Here are some Montipora Digitata varieties that are branching like you want.

Milliporas are also another good choice. Here is a Chewbacca milli.

cjtabares

AC Members
Oct 17, 2007
Bristol. RI
Ok i was not sure i was going to get the mushrooms i heard if they get to close to other corals they can harm them. I have zoas should i be worried about them?

Thanks

cjtabares

AC Members
Oct 17, 2007
Bristol. RI
Should i get a calcium reactor if i am going with a predominantly sps tank?

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
With that size tank eventually you may want to get one, but it isn't something you will need for probably the first 6mos-1year. Dosing 2 part will be enough to handle CA and Alk.

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I second the mushroom thing... they are very cool, but need room. I mistakenly put mine too close to a very nice duncan (which you might also consider, they are fast growing and very attractive). The next morning my duncan was totally closed up, way inside the skeleton. I really thought it was a goner. Moved it to a different location and sure enough it opened right back up. I am postive it got zapped by the mushroom.

I also used to have a very nice suncoral that had two heads killed by a mushroom. They are lovely to look at, but need some space.

Also, on the milli, it does grow fast and looks great. you could also consider stylophora (cat's paw) it is another nice looking SPS that is a fast grower and very interesting to watch.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
A stylophora is definately not one I would consider "easy" or "fast growing". Low-med growth and much more sensitive to water fluctuations than some other corals. Now the pocilipora is similar looking (different base structure, but polyps look the same) to a stylophora but grows probably 10x as fast.

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Interesting. That is different than what I had read, but I could very easily be confused. But, regardless, it is a cool lookin' coral...

EDIT: Nevermind, I was confused... the care for the stylophora is listed as moderate to difficult... great, now I'm toast (LOL).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store