live rock questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wantsome8

AC Members
Dec 14, 2002
detroit michigan
Visit site
i plan on setting up a 48 inch 40 gal sw tank. my set up is going to be a custom sea life power compact fluoresent with two 65 wat half day light half antic lighting. a prizam protien skimmer and a costom sea life wet dry with a rio 2500 pump. my questions are how soon after i set the tank up can i add my live rock? is it enough lighting and filtration? is ordering live rock off the web ok if its from a reputable place? do i even need a wet dry filter? if not could i still use it in my system? i lost my reciept and cant take it back.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If you order the LR from the net, you can add it immediately and use the die off to start your cycle. If you get cured pieces locally, I would wait until the tank has cycled, or you risk killing off the cool critters. There are several great places to order rock fromthe internet--Check out a thread in General Marine on good places to get LR.

You don't mention if you have a sandbed--if not, it would really help to have about 4 inches of sand on the bottom, and about 60 lbs of LR. Depending on what livestock you want, this, the skimmer and a cleanup crew should be fine.

As for lighting--looke like you've got about 3 watts per gallon. This will be fine for szome critters--mushrooms, buttoons, some polyps--but you'll want to avoid the higher light corals. Clams, for instance, are out, but scallops would be a an alternative.

You can use the wet dry as a sump (no bio balls), or add some sand to it as well. They are good for providing water movement.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store