Red Claw Crabs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Divisive

AC Members
Dec 7, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I have a 10 gal tank and am rather new to this. My husband recently bought me two red claw crabs. They are incredible to watch and have renewed my interest in the tank.

One of my crabs will eat dried shrimp. I put a piece in the end of a straw and put it in front of him, and he takes the shrimp quite happily. The other crab will have nothing to do with the dried shrimp. One pet store told me they would definitely eat the shrimp, and another later told me to buy crab and lobster pellets. I think the pellets are working, but I wish I had known about this website when he wasn't eating. Is there anything else I can feed them?

Also, the first pet store, where they were acquired incidentally, told me they would not eat my fish. Well, I have lost three fish to the crabs. I think the crabs manage to clip the fins of the fish, and then they are helpless. Of course, my fish do seem to be just a little bit too curious about the crabs.

I am having a hard time finding very much information about red claw crabs. Anyone out there have any experience with them?

Divisive

AC Members
Dec 7, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Wimp!

Thanks for the advice. elgecko, I went to your site and found it very helpful. If you are right about how to determine the sex of the crabs, my male is a wimp! The smaller crab just walks over the larger crab if it feels like it or may attack. They could both be males, however, just one being smaller. They have not eaten any of my three snails at this point, and I have seen them all together.

I have read that crabs like to get out of the water. Unfortunately, they are in my 10 gal tank with fish. If I have anything large enough to stick out of the water, they will definitely escape! I am not sure what to do. Also, I have a freshwater tank. On top of that, this is the first I have heard that they are dirty.

Hmmm, I may have to rethink this plan. I have another question, also. The best pet store I have found in town (the place with the cleanest tanks and no dead fish floating around) has some large yellow snails. I don't know what they are actually called. Anyone know what they are and/or how best to keep them.

I am thinking I need another tank:)

ElPasoSiren

Love hater
Mar 13, 2003
El Paso,Texas
www.geocities.com
Well,i don't know anything about crabs but i know about snails! The snails you saw were probably Apple snails. Here's the website for them: www.applesnail.net
They have everything you need to know about snails and how to take care of them. They also have a lot of pics of other snails just in case you saw something different.
Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store