Clown being bullied.....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

madroosta

small fry
Oct 2, 2006
united kingdom
:headshake2:.....hi all, i have a pair of clown that were a pair in my lfs and have been fine in my tank for about 4 weeks and now the female is really bullying the male to the point that the male is hiding, they were as i say fine together and swimming around together peacefully and now she has changed almost overnight. Could this be to do with an intro of a goby or a leather coral? Or just that she is not fond of him?:headshake2::headshake2::headshake2:

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
madroosta: Since you haven't had them all that long, could be a couple of things. Did you purchase them together? are they relatively young? If they are young this could be the struggle to figure out who is the male and who is the female. If that is the case could last a couple of weeks. When my pair were figuring it out, they fought for two weeks straight and my sebae anem was the casualty. I thought that I was going to loose one or both, but I kept a close eye on them.

Also, are they the same....false clown, maroon, etc.

madroosta

small fry
Oct 2, 2006
united kingdom
they were a pair in the lfs and yes purchased at same time. The one i assume is the female is the larger one. I was under the impression that the larger was the female. The male is a little more pale than normal i think.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
The female is the larger of the two, are the hosting anything?

Also, are they false percs or maroon?

Last edited:

dolfans1

I'm a victim of coicumstance!
Jun 15, 2005
Safety Harbor, FL
Do you know how old they are? My maroon clowns went through the same thing over 3 years ago. They were purchased together (though they weren't a pair in the LFS) as juveniles and shortly after introduction to the display tank the slightly larger one began bullying the smaller one. The larger one became the female (I think they were still young enough to be males when I bought them). I think it was a hormonal thing when the larger one became female. The smaller one spent its time hiding, and I had to target feed it because everytime it came out of hiding to try to get food the female would chase after it. The male ended up with ragged fins and I didn't think it was going to make it. After a couple of months, the female settled down and began to tolerate the male, and eventually they paired up and the female just had her first litter of eggs.

So be patient - the female may still settle down and pair up with the male. Just make sure the male has good places to hide and avoid the female until that time.

madroosta

small fry
Oct 2, 2006
united kingdom
thanks for the advice, he certainly has got a little pale so hope that he makes it through this process!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store