Brass fittings in the Aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Timmain42

Disturbed Quasi-Genius
Jan 4, 2002
D/FW, TEXAS
www.xmenclan.org
Just for poops and giggles:

Would having brass fittings in my water system cause problems with the fish?

Reactions: Daigle87

Mcdaphnia

AC Members
One of the metals in brass is copper which is poisonous to fish and even in very low exposure to invertebrates (e. g. snails, crayfish, brine shrimp). Zinc is toxic to fish, inverts, and also people. There are many variations on the recipe for brass though it is still basically around two thirds copper and one third zinc. Some kinds eliminate the lead. This is the recipe for NAVAL BRASS 482.

Nominal Composition: | 60.00% Copper
| 38.55% Zinc
| | 0.75% Tin
| | 0.70% Lead

Timmain42

Disturbed Quasi-Genius
Jan 4, 2002
D/FW, TEXAS
www.xmenclan.org
Thanks. Looks like that particular option is out, time to find another...

DIYMatt

AC Members
Oct 8, 2001
Minneapolis, MN
Hmmmm....

I have lots of brass parts on my water system. Its been running for about 9 months. It handles RO mixed with tap water. I have not noticed any ill affects. I'm not a chemist or a scientist but here's what I think:

Just because the brass contains those metals shouldn't necessary mean it is going to leach them into the water to toxic levels. Example: plastics(especially silicone): Some of the individual components of the plastics are very toxic to animals. But, we don't hesitate to put them in the tank, like silicone. The silicone itself is toxic, but it is considerd the safest airline tubing. Even if they do leach a small amount of metals, it shouldn't be enough to harm the fish. Actually, I beleive Zinc is important component of plant fertilizer. All that being said, if PVC fittings are an option for what your doing I would definitely use those. They are almost leakproof, cheaper, lighter, and easier to adjust/cut. I have brass fittings on my float valves and my mixer device that mixes 80% RO/20%tap into the reservoir. These were the only fittings I could find with the right sizes and threads. Also, my tap water comes through copper pipes, and I'm sure there are brass fittings somewhere in the lines, like the water meter.

But, now you've got me thinking that if it is leaching into the tank, the effects may be cummulative. So, if anyone could confirm or deny the toxicity of brass that we be great. A link to research someone did would be great also!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mcdaphnia

AC Members
The danger of metals leaching into the water is greatly reduced if your water is hard and alkaline. That's one reason why water companies harden their product before sending it to you via water main. Also after a few weeks' use, any leaching that may have been happening is going to slow down. A coating over the metal, usually bacterial, but it could also be mineralization, especially from a well in a limestone area, will pretty much seal off the metal from direct contact with the water. However a stress, or a pH drop, or severe physical movement could cause problems down the road.

Also many dechlor products also contain chemicals to precipitate out heavy metals into an inert solid.

RO water and brass could be a problem.

Zinc is not a fertilizer. More than a trace is harmful. That's true of many trace elements, some of which are essential to plant or animal growth, but only as trace concentrations.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store