is this fin rot on my oranda

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jooranda

AC Members
May 18, 2009
uk
HPIM0505.JPG

HPIM0506.JPG

HPIM0507.JPG

HPIM0508.JPG

HPIM0505.JPG HPIM0506.JPG HPIM0507.JPG HPIM0508.JPG

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Hi Jo,

Yes, that is a classic case of finrot. Notice the white edges appearing to eat away the edges of the fins? That's finrot. Could you please tell us what your water parameters are? What test kit do you also use? How long have you kept that fish? Does that tank where it is kept, have a filter?

If the fish is in the quarantine tank, try to operate it with a sponge filter and add a few plastic plants for refuge. I'd keep the tank barebottom and continue monitoring the water parameters making sure ammonia and nitrite remain zero. Really, your best defense here is clean water quality for that finrot issue.

jooranda

AC Members
May 18, 2009
uk
hiya lupin i dont have a test kit yet still waitin for the api mini test kit to come through im doing water changes everyday an shes on tetra med for goldfish an its a small filter an i only had her a few months an im sooo fed up want her betta u know this has been like this for 12 days an im at the end of my tether :(

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Jo, could you please post the ingredients of this tetra med? I have never trusted the Tetra products pretty much. I am sorry to hear the fish has been under the weather like this for more than a week. Unfortunately, it is hard to monitor everything without the test kit coming in handy which plays a very important role in this situation as finrot usually is caused by poor water quality more than anything else. Unless you are sure you can trust the meds to treat for finrot, I'd simply be sticking to daily water changes myself until the fish recovers.

Edit: There is something else. Does the goldfish have red streaks or unusually visible red veins on the fins and any parts of the body? This could indicate ammonia poisoning or hemorrhagic septicemia, the cause of either two is hard to determine without the kit around.

bettaobsession

AC Members
Jun 22, 2009
:goldfish:yep that looks exactly like fin rot! :iagree:

jooranda

AC Members
May 18, 2009
uk
its ok now u dont have to diagnose i lost her tues evening :(

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
As per our discussions in chat, I don't believe this is a case of fin rot. First off, the fact that it did not respond to clean water or melafix was a big indicator that something else was wrong. Additionally, from the pictures provided, it seems the fish was hardly very active either, as it is bottom sitting in all four of your pictures. Furthermore, finrot does not eat only the membrane and leave the rays, but rather disintegrates the whole fin, which causes an eaten away look rather than a frayed look. Both costia and hexamita can cause fin fraying in their later stages, and considering the speed at which your fish expired, I'd be more suspicious of one of them as the culprit. I hate to say it, but if I were you, I'd watch the rest of your stock very carefully.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Inka, what are costia and hexamita?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store