Question about sponge filter and canister filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dirtydawg10

Severum Mafia Don
Sep 5, 2005
Connecticut
You can use a sponge for filter media in a HOB and/or a canister filter.

However, a sponge filter is a filter which is basically a sponge with some sort of mechanism to pull water through the sponge in order to filter the water. They are usually air or powerhead driven. Here's an example of what one looks like.

dirtydawg10

Severum Mafia Don
Sep 5, 2005
Connecticut
You wouldn't want to put a sponge filter in a HOB filter. You can however put sponge media into a HOB filter. Depending on the brand and type of filter you have, the manufacture may or may not make sponge media for your HOB. You could also buy an oversized aquarium sponge and cut it to fit inside your HOB. What type of filter do you have?

dirtydawg10

Severum Mafia Don
Sep 5, 2005
Connecticut
I'm not familiar with the topfin filters but I would assume you could modify a sponge for use in your filter. The advantage to the sponge is they are easier to maintain than the typical floss filter and will usually last longer. They will also most likely allow for more surface area for your beneficial bacteria colony.

OldMan47

I love my endlers
Jan 1, 2008
Central Illinois
If you can cut a sponge to fit the space where the cartridge goes, you could put one into a Topfin but I would either buy a sponge filter or an AC filter that is designed to hold flexible media. The Topfin is not a flexible filter but is one that is designed to use EOM cartridges only. Most of the Topfin house brand seem to be downgraded versions of a Whisper or a Penguin filter. Because it is not flexible in media, I try to avoid them and use mostly sponge filters or canister filters. The few cartridge filters that I have are ones that I have chosen not to waste because they came free with something else I bought.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store