Betta's in a 55 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aahhsin

AC Members
Apr 9, 2009
I know you shouldn't keep a male with females, but how many females can i have at once?

and is it possible to keep a male and a giant harem if i put enough decor or enough female bettas he can't decide who to chase leading him love struck?

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
Let a single Male Betta patrol the 55 gallon tank. He will be the boss of the tank. :)

ksane

aka TwistedPenguin
Mar 1, 2008
Oklahoma, USA
I always kept anywhere from 6-15 female Bettas together depending on the size of the tank (75 g to 125 g). The trick is to put them in at the same time. I tried the Harem thing with 6 females and 1 male and he chased them non-stop until they were worn out and he was ragged. He'd have chased them until he had a little fishy-stroke if I hadn't taken him out.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
It's not impossible to keep a male with females, but usually though the male will end up being to much of an *arse* for it to work. In my particular case though, I had had the male for a few years and added the female later on. I think it might have been partially age and being kept in a (eek!) bowl for a few years that might have chilled him out, but I probably also had an exceptionally mellow betta. After he died I tried a few other males with the female and I eventually did need to seperate them - I believe it was just as much because of the males picking on the female as from the established full grown female beating the males up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store