Help on picking Tetras to go with Angels.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Carmen H

AC Members
Dec 7, 2003
Visit site
My son has a 45 gallon tank, and needs help in picking fish to go in his tank. Should we get 2 or 3 angels? I heard Skirted tetras get along with Angels, and how many? What other fish would look nice and ad color? How many?

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Make sure to get bigger tetra, nothing small like neons. Emporer, skirted, serpae will all probably do fine. I think that Angels need to be kept in pairs but I have never kept them so I can't help there.

What other fish are you getting? Or is this the whole load. That will determine how many tetras you should be thinking off. But a school of at least 5 is generally recommended.

cblin

AC Members
Oct 26, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Visit site
Some of the tetra species that I like are:

pristella
emperor
bleeding heart
black skirt
white skirt
red phantom
black phantom

IMHO, serpaes are quite nippy. Nippy enough for one time when I had them, I've kept them w/ tiger barbs.

With angels you'd want to have at least 3. Once they're established in the tank, they might start terrorizing each other a little. However, if a pair is formed, watch out for the 3rd one. Just what I've heard from a lot of people. I only have one angel.

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
Tiger barbs have a reputation for being very nippy fish, so don't choose the black skirt tetras or anything with longer fins. You also need to get enough tiger barbs that they focus their aggression within their own school. I would think this is at least 8 or so. For tetra choices, choose one with shorter fins that is a very fast swimmer, and make sure you have a school of 6 or more. If he changes his mind again, discourage him from choosing angels + tiger barbs, as that tends to be a bad combo due to the angel's long fins.

KarlskidMarx

AC Members
Nov 25, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Although you've changed your mind, I'm staying with the angelfish theme.

I usually keep an odd number of angels so that agrresion can be dipersed as opposed to one fish always bullying another.

And as for tetras with my angels I have kept both a school of black phantoms and a school of roberti tetras. The roberti's are gorgeous.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Tiger barbs are great. They get to around 2.5 inches long so aren't too big to have a school of in a long tank like you have. A minimum of 5 are needed to keep aggression within the school. The more the better.

Danios would make excellent tank mates, just not the long finned type. They are fast and fun to watch, but make sure to get a school as in too small of a group they go crazy.

With tiger barbs avoid angels, bettas, gouramis, paradise fish and any other fish with larger fins.

Another smaller barb like rosey or cherry would be another good addition. They are tough but smaller.

Carmen H

AC Members
Dec 7, 2003
Visit site
No Angels in the tank, He wants Tiger Barbs! Mom does not want them because I heard of bad and good. He does not want gold barbs and other cherry barbs because sister has her own tank. We must be different!!!!! I went on the Tetra plan, but we still like those fast moving tigers! What Tetras work with Tigers? He does not care for danios. We have read and looked for Months, the tank is waiting. It is doing the fishless cycle. What to eat the green on the sides of the tank? Need something small, no otto with Barbs, Correct! I read serpaes are nippy, good match with Tigers? Mom gone nuts!!!!!!!!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Serpae and tiger barbs should be no problem, though I have not kept them together. In groups they should all keep any aggression to themselves.

One of the best algae eaters is the SAE. They can get about 4 maybe 5 inches. They are pretty peaceful guys. Or else get a couple of bristlenose plecos. They are well known as good algae eaters. Just make sure to have some driftwood for any pleco as they need lignin in their diet.

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
Want chaos? :)

7 Tiger Barbs
7 Zebra Danios
5 Australian Rainbows
5 cories

The tank that won't stop moving! :)

-----

Ok, tetra with tigers, eh... Just for knowing colors, did he want the standard tigers, green tigers, albino tigers, or a mix?

7 tiger barbs
6 Buenos Ares tetra (they get a big bigger than other tetra at 3 in)
6 Black neon Tetra
6 Cardinal Tetra
5 Coridoras for cleanup.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store