New 9" Polypterus senegalus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish.Addict

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Here a few shots of the new pickup. She's still a bit flushed, the shots were literally RIGHT after I put her in.

As of now, she's the biggest fish in the tank.

Here's a classic shot of the two biggest fish in the tank meeting each other for the first time:

Fish.Addict

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Thanks.

First night in she ate a bunch of strips of tilapia... I knew she hadn't eaten in a while. :D

jamesstill84

Curiosity salted the snail!
Jan 2, 2009
Winchester, Kentucky
How big do those get and what's the min tank requirement? I've always wanted one!

Fish.Addict

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
How big do those get and what's the min tank requirement? I've always wanted one!
Senegals usually will reach 10-12", sometimes as much as 15" (this is very rare, I have only seen one this size). As far as min tank requirements, it's a matter of opinion. In my opinion, a 30g is the minimum I would put a single Senegal in for life, but a 40g would be much better. A 40g Breeder (36"Lx18"Wx16"H) would be great for multiple smaller upper-jaw species.

I keep my five bichirs (4 Senegals, and 1 Lapradei) in a 55g for the time being. The only fish I think will NEED to be moved is my Lap, which will probably reach 20" or so.

She's beautiful!
Thank you very much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store