sexing elongatus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
my elongatus chailosi have about doubled in size while on vacation and are now around 2inches. and all hell has broke loose in the 30g because all they do is fight. do you sex them by looking for the eggspot or is there something else to look for. because in that case i have 5 males and no females. which should mean that wouldnt be any fighting right? im not quite sure what to do for them.:help:

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yeah that egg spot gender sighting isn't 100% fool proof venting will be your ultimate challenge and is what i would do..

If you do have all males there will be some fighting still just not as aggressive with the ladies around usually in an all male setup your gonna have a male that will be alpha male and the ladder down the hierarchy.. subdominant .. So some fighting will be in order til they work things out..

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
i dont know much about venting. i know what it is though. how do i do it?

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
ok. well i just vented them (catching them was a nightmare) and i came apon the conclusion that they are all males. one might be female but i had a hard time trying to figure it out but im %80 sure its male.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Hey, Austin: Do all your Ps. elongatus chailosi have a yellow area on mid body and tail? Females do not have almost any yellow; as I'm looking on my book. Of course, these are adult fishes.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
they look yellow. here ill have a vid on youtube shortly and ill let you be the judge.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
It's funny Austin, but I went to this link and apparently, my book has chailosis of other place or variant. The Ps. elongatus complex is somewhat difficult with its group of different variants. Check this link and now I think that you have all females. What's their size right now?Their maximum size appears to be 3.5 " .
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=860

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store