Odd mouth problem with mbuna

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BluEyes

AC Members
Jan 5, 2003
Idaho
www.geocities.com
Okay, got a wierd thing going on with a cichlid here. He/she is definately a mbuna, and I'm pretty sure the cichlid is an I. Sprengerae, no clue on gender, about 3-3.5" long.
The only tankmate is another african. We *thought* we were buying another I. Sprengerae, but are 99.9% sure we were wrong now, since they look nothing alike now that they aren't at the LFS... The tankmate is still unknown, and is about 2" long.
They are both in a 20 tall with lots of algae-covered rocks and regular water changes, etc. Yeah, I know they should have a larger tank - that's coming sometime soon, but the two don't seem to squabble too much and are both out and about the tank often.
Anyways, on to what's up. I noticed today that the first fish looks like it has something stuck in its mouth. The corners of its lips are pushed out, and the 'chin' is protruding compared to normal. The fish IS conatantly re-arranging the gravel in the tank :rolleyes: , and I was concerned there might be a piece stuck in its mouth. So I netted the fish (boy, he/she loved that!) and gently opened its mouth some to peer in. I saw what looks like a group of round lumps along the bottom of the mouth. Nothing looks red or inflamed, just a kind of even light fleshy color everywhere.
Then tonight when I fed them, the fish was hanging back about at mid-water when it is usually up at the surface pushing the smaller one out of the way for the food. When a pellet would float down, it would kinda move towards the pellet, but instead of eating it, would stop right about at the point where you'd expect it to suck the pellet in, and then back away a bit. The fish let several pellets go by like this, and didn't eat a single one.
Well, those are the symptoms - any ideas? Are these guys mouthbrooders? Any change those were eggs? If they aren't, what can be done about those lumps in the mouth?

SayersWeb

Aquarium & Pond Keeper
Dec 4, 2003
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
Originally posted by JSchmidt
Sounds a bit like she's holding eggs...

Jim
Yup! The bulge under her mouth will grow even bigger soon once the eggs hatch.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
Yep, sounds like she is holding. Her throat should look like it is getting bigger over the next few weeks.She also won't really eat during this time. IN about 21-28 she should release the fry. How long have you had them? You either got lucy and got a male and female or she was already oldingwhen you bought her.

BluEyes

AC Members
Jan 5, 2003
Idaho
www.geocities.com
I've had her several months now, lost track and my aquarium log is at home (typing from school now)
so, maybe these are mutt cichlids, because while the other fish could be a male (hey, 50/50 odds, right?) I'm really pretty sure they aren't the same species...

guess I'd better put some foam over the filter intake soon to keep the little ones being slurped up!

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
I don't think I've ever had trouble with mbuna fry getting sucked into the filter. They stay pretty close to mom until they're bigger... it won't hurt to cover the intake, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

Let us know how the babies turn out! If they are mutts, please be sure they don't make it into the pet trade!

Jim

sunnygirl

AC Members
Mar 4, 2003
mn
Visit site
hey, congrats. i have to wonder though, how the heck did you get her to let you open her mouth when she's holding? i have two females holding right now, and a third is ready to spawn anytime soon. my dominant male is a real cassonova;) ! i think mine are mutts too, i'm not sure what any of them are. but i do know that they're all mbuna. good luck.

mtdewlover

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
Sounds really familiar. My b/f has yellow labs and they have had baby twice and one more batch on the way! :) So they defiantly could be eggs but I dought it. Keep on eye on it to see if it eats. But here is what happens to my fishy. He is a red zebra, a fiesty one at that. He love to rearrange gravel as yours does. The gravel was kind of big and he too would get that going on with his mouth. The mouth would be out of shape and his chin would be swollen and the usual pid he is didn't eat. I found it's because he moves the gravel around so much. He's fine, it goes away and he'll eat in the next couple of days. That's what happens to my fish, sounds like that could be whats going on with yours.

mtdewlover

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
Ok, I missed the whole she is holding eggs part. :rolleyes: Go me. Disregaurd my first post then. Congrats!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store