Convict cichlid compatibility

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

qquake2k

AC Members
May 3, 2006
Northern California
My son has a black convict cichlid and a simple pleco in a 14g tank. The convict is particularly mean, she has pecked the eyes completely out of the pleco. (The pleco is doing fine, though, you can't even tell he's blind.) We know the convict is a female, she's laid eggs a couple of times (and ate them). I'm wondering if putting another cichlid in there will distract the convict from terrorizing the pleco. If so, should we get another convict, or some other cichlid? If he should get another convict, should it be a male or female? He doesn't particularly want babies. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

clgkag

AC Members
Mar 30, 2008
Your best bet would be to get a larger tank, like the 29 gallon range. Also make sure the pleco has lots of hiding spots.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Convicts are very territorial and become even more aggressive without a cave or other type of hiding spot. I use small logs and clay flowerpots for them to use as their home. They do like to pick and establish a tank hierarchy. They are less aggressive with a larger school of them or more tank mates larger than they are.

Minimum tank size for them is 20 gallons. A 20 Long is better than a 20H.

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
When you say 'simple pleco' do you meana common pleco? If so they get HUGE (18"-24").
I wouldn't add any other cichlids to that tank, the only other cichlids that can handle being in a tank with convicts would need a much larger tank.

qquake2k

AC Members
May 3, 2006
Northern California
Yes, I meant common pleco. I know they get very large, but aren't they slow growing? I have a 4 year old pleco in my 46g bowfront, and he's about 6"-7" long.

As for the convict, I have a 45g bowfront with some African cichlids, and a 55g with small tiger barbs, gold barbs, and white clouds. I don't think I can put the convict in either of my tanks. My son can't get a bigger tank right now, and I was trying to figure something out in the mean time, other than euthanizing the convict.

When I first saw the tank, it was deplorable. There was less than half the water in it and the filter hadn't been working for several weeks. I added water to it, put in a bigger (operational) filter, and the conditions are much improved already. Frankly, I'm surprised the convict and pleco survived. That must have been a helluva shock to go from what they'd been living in to the much cleaner water.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
The commons are not realy slow growing they can grow quite large quite fast. As far as putting the con in with the Africans that is not going to be ideal for the con since they come from a different part of the world and have different water requirements than the Africans do. Can you rehome the con and the plec?

Dec 20, 2006
Michigan
i'd take the pleco and convict back to a fish store and get some more peaceful fish in a community setup for your son. plecos might be slow growing, but they can still be stunted in such small tanks, greatly reducing their lifespan.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store