Archer Fish has white film (cloudy eye?) on one eye - what should I do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

esbe02

AC Members
Mar 17, 2009
I noticed my archer fish has a light white film over one of its eye and i'm not sure how to treat it.

I started with some research on the web and I'm learning that it might be "cloudy eye." As far as the cause, I learned there are many and its hard to determine was caused it. However, I did read on some discussion boards that if its just one eye that is cloudy, it is most likely an injury (non-disease related).

I did about a 30% water change today as I read how it could be due to poor water conditions. I took my water to my LPS and no red flags came up, nitrates just just a tad up, but nothing crucial.

I looked at the different types of medication and was thinking of getting a 10g tank to use as a hospital tank if I need to go about treatment. I'm still new to the fish scene and some advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

Also - if anyone has an archer fish, i just got the bad boy less than a week and its not really eating much, a cricket every other day... is that normal?

esbe02

AC Members
Mar 17, 2009
I don't know the specific readings... they use liquid testings...

I measure SG myself w/ hydrometer, its at 1.008.

Tank is a 55g, housed with 2 red scats, 2 knight gobies, 2 orange chromides.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
If it is in fact an injury, clean water is usually the best thing you can do to speed healing.

Twistersmom

AC Members
Jan 17, 2009
We have very similar fish. I also have knight gobies, orange chromides and one archer.
I not to long ago seen an archer at my lfs with one cloudy eye. Makes me wonder if it is common for this fish. Hard to suggest any type of treatment without knowing the cause.
Not sure how long you have had your archer, but mine did not eat for the first 4 days I had him. I was starting to consider returning him to the store in fear that he was going to die in my care. I think I was jumping up and down with joy when he first started to eat for me.
Now, he can make a real pig of himself. He eats bloodworms, blackworms, krill, and of coarse crickets. (crickets are his favorite) I feed him 2-4 small crickets a day (maybe more than he should get), but he acts like he would like more.

LuciferSam

AC Members
Jun 4, 2009
How big is the Archer? Mine Eat anything I drop in the tank, either a tree roach I find in my back yard or some crickets that I set up in their shooting gallery. They even eat flake food, pellets, Ghost shrimp...

esbe02

AC Members
Mar 17, 2009
I checked the archer today and it seems like the cloudy eye is less noticeable while yesterday it was very obvious.

As far as aggression, I haven't seen any whatsoever. Although, I have seen the archer swim back and forth and sometimes running into stuff, perhaps that may have been the cause. beats me...

The archer is about 3 inches long, pretty medium sized. It is the largest fish in the aquarium right now, as all the others are between 1" to 2". I got the archer last Friday to be exact - so its been 4 days. I fish the fish a variety of food (alternating foods each day). I feed them frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, freeze dried tubifex worms, and flake food. All of the fish expect the archer devour the food. There has also been times where I've dropped a cricket in there and it just ignores it. Since i got him, I recall him eating only 2 crickets. Are the crickets I'm getting too big maybe? I buy the "large sized crickets" from Petsmart. They are about 1/2 an inch.

Twistersmom

AC Members
Jan 17, 2009
My archer is about the same size. I have given him a few of the larger size crickets, but he seems to have an easier time with the small ones.
Only 4 days, maybe he is still adjusting to his new home and your feeding routine. It did take mine about 4 days to settle in.

esbe02

AC Members
Mar 17, 2009
My archer is about the same size. I have given him a few of the larger size crickets, but he seems to have an easier time with the small ones.
Only 4 days, maybe he is still adjusting to his new home and your feeding routine. It did take mine about 4 days to settle in.

Guess 4 days is the magic number, I fed the tank bloodworms today and for the first time, the Archer snagged ones that were floating on top of the water.

I tried another cricket today but it still shows no interest. The archer takes a quick look and turns away... fortunately, the crickets are not going to waste as the knight gobies, scats, or chromides end up finding it and tearing it apart.

Interesting thing yesterday was I saw the Archer attempt to eat the cricket but spit it right back out, this happened a couple times...

Today, I picked up a bag of Hikari Food Sticks (one with pic of Arowanna) as I read somewhere that Archers eat this since they float, but it did the same thing to the cricket: attempted to eat it but spit it right back out. Hopefully it will grow on him, otherwise thats $8 wasted :headshake2:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store