Angel nippiness

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jdheff1982

No you're not! I'm Sparticus!
Aug 17, 2002
Wichita, KS
Visit site
Howdy! I've got 2 half-back angels nearly 4 to 5 inches each and one has recently started to pester the other. The other darts off for a bit but comes back and gets punished some more. All I have are the 2 angels and a pleco. Any idea as to some dither fish I can use??? Thanks!

foxtrot

Registered Member
Dec 12, 2003
Visit site
Sounds to me like the Angels are coming of age and could be pairing off. Of course, they may both be male or may both be female and it could just be them having a "who's big fish in the tank" contest.

They are cichlids so nippiness can be expected. Sounds to me though like you've either got a randy male or two same sex fish with one exerting dominance.

I have two pair of Angels and even with tetras and rams in the tank they will get nippy at times. As long as no damage is done, your ok. If one is hurting another fish, you might want to seperate them.

jdheff1982

No you're not! I'm Sparticus!
Aug 17, 2002
Wichita, KS
Visit site
No hurting yet. Just one darts after the other just to nip. The other one darts off, but quickly returns and sometimes nips back. I am not concerned, just thought I could find a fish or 2 that would help dither the nippines. Thanks!

EDIT: I hope I have a pair that will do "the dirty deed" soon. These half-backs are great looking fish and are not that common in my town. I may be able to sell them at a good price..... (The babies that is)

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
There really isn't much you can do to stop this, as it is natural angelfish behaviour. Just sit back and watch nature do it's thing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store