cichlid compatibility?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Clay-10

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
i have 2 electric yellows, 2 electric blue johannis, 1 kenyi, and a pleco in my 55 gallon tank. what other african cichlids could i put in with my cichlids i have now.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
The best thing is to keep Mbuna with Mbuna and not mix. I am not saying something else won't work, just your likely to have less problems by doing so.

jrow8162

AC Members
Apr 6, 2009
Richmond, VA
I have Mbuna's mixes with Malawis, Clown Loaches, and a pleco. Pleco gets picked on once in a while but he usually moves to the glass and keeps to himself. Maybe try adding a couple of Red Zebras. They would really set the color off...

nano55

AC Members
May 14, 2007
i would ditch the pleco. african cichlids are not very good tankmates for them.
I have never been able to keep a pleco alive in an african cichlid tank. They ALWAYS disappear. I quit trying after 2 mysteriously vanished.

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Michigan - Indiana Border
Real Name
Russ
I've been on the exact same quest lately: 55 gallon mbuna tank. I already have yellow labs.

Here are some of the suggestions folks on this forum have given me:
  • Pseudotropheus sp. Yellow Tail Acei
  • Pseudotropheus socolofi (Albino)
  • Pseudotropheus socolofi Tumbi to Cobue, Mozambique
  • Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (Maingano)

I have already added some acei and I really like them. Their blue complements the yellow lab very well. I have found them to be a schooling fish and very friendly. They were more tank freindly to me in the first 10 minutes in the tank than the labs have ever been. I'd put them high on your list :)

Pseudotropheus socolofi Tumbi to Cobue, Mozambique their blue will work well too.

Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (Maingano) - I am really digging this fish and would love to add it.

Hope that helps,
Russ

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
did you get your mbina from lavaca tropicals? cuz if you did i wouldnt be certain your fish are pure bcuz i think she had the johanni in the "assorted afc cichlid" tank. you definatly need to up the numbers and add some other species of mbuna in there. pics? need pics. what does your aquascape look like?

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
Good advice by Razzo.

I've got a bristlenose in my tank and he's doing fine, none of the mbuna bother him at all, in fact they scatter away whenever he swims up to an algae wafer or a cucumber that they're ganging up on, and he keeps the tank clean as well.

I would rehome the kenyi (not only will they get too aggressive, but it's also recommended to keep them in a 75gal minimum, because of size and aggression), bump up your existing groups (1 male to at least 3, 4 females as suggested above, labs do better in groups of at least 6) and look at species Razzo has mentioned.

Also iodotropheus sprengerae make a good tankmate, as they are one of the less aggressive, smaller mbuna. If you're looking for blue, try cynotilapia "white top hara" as well, males get really nice vibrant light blue color with dark bars, while females stay blue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store