Hot Pursuit Angelfish vs. Betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FindingBlemo

I ♥ Angelfish!
Jul 2, 2009
Black Diamond, WA
Okay, here goes.
I had 8 small angelfish (3-4 inches) in a 30 gallon lightly planted aquarium with 2 bettas. Now I'm down to 7 angelfish and 1 betta. The angelfish was left mangled in the aquarium, ripped to shreds by his own brothers and sisters (yes they are fed, no it wasn't a set up, "In da hood" angelfish fight) Now, just 15 minutes ago, my angelfish and my female betta got in a "hot pursuit" and my angelfish chased the betta out of the aquarium... until I found her a long time later dry and crispy. :( So why is this happening? Is it my fault or just dominance? Because I have one more angelfish runt left in there and no more aquariums with room.
--FindingBlemo

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
a thirty gallon tank is only big enough for one angelfish or a mated pair, thats why they're killing eachother. i would take 6 back, the betta may or may not fight with a single angel, you'll have to watch

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
:welcome: to AC!

Cam is correct. A 30g can fit only two angels provided they are a mated pair or a solitary angel. 7 is pushing it. You need a 55g to be able to accommodate all of them. Angels do not normally kill each other or anything else except those that they can easily gobble but your tank is extremely overcrowded which is why they are breaking into violent fights.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
3-4" they may also be starting to pair up, I agree with both posts above me as well though, way too many in there. I have 2 angels (they are a pair) in a 29G and wish I could get them a bigger tank. I can't imagine putting 8 in there, even at 3-4" in size.

FindingBlemo

I ♥ Angelfish!
Jul 2, 2009
Black Diamond, WA
Well I bought them at an auction so there's no chance of taking them back. I will look into buying a 50 or 55 gallon. My last betta just got killed this morning. So all there is now is 7 angelfish, I never knew it was overcrowded when they were this small. I feel so bad. :(

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Try not to beat yourself up over it. We all have made mistakes; as long as we learn from them.....I personally would not put a betta (male) with angel fish; the long fin extensions on the angels may be viewed as a competing betta.....just a thought.

*edit* 7 is way too many for a 30 gallon. if you get a "pair" then only have them in that tank, if no pair than only one...

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Actually you should not take it hard.
Live and Learn.
depending on the size of the angels it is not uncommon to place them in grow out tanks.
but we learned to watch for aggression.

Angels are cichild and are prone to that behavior.

hang in there.

FindingBlemo

I ♥ Angelfish!
Jul 2, 2009
Black Diamond, WA
Thanks Star_Rider, I've gone through something like this before. I lost 14 fish to some Melafix and Pimafix disaster. I also lost a few fish to a Co2 experiment. I'm used to it now, hahaha, the aquarium hobby is very unpredictable, for me at least.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store