Is This a True SAE?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
It is an SAE..
Their stripe goes all the way through the tail... :)

Here's a few I have...

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Actually the fly fox strip also goes al the way through the tail. But on the fox there is a secondary golden strip right above the black strip.

DTs

AC Members
Oct 29, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA
Visit site
I just got a bit nervous after putting them into my tank, as they colored up better than when they were in the store. The Flying Fox seems to me more goldish, and mine were turning more goldish. And I thought what a pain they'd be to catch in a planted tank!

Thanks for the links.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Pain is an understatement. The only fish I have found that is harder to catch in a planted tank is the false SAE. When smaller they and young sae can easily be confused. Yours look like true SAE to me, but the pic isn't great.

Joe- I cant imagine why you have SAEs in that tank. I could not see a scrap of algae anywhere :D .

Now, for some fun. I have these SAE relatives. Can anybody tell me what they are? (I know but am curious if others do.)

Last edited:

cblin

AC Members
Oct 26, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Visit site
TwoTankAmin,

I can't tell you what those are, never seen them before.
But I can tell you those fish are nice looking and so are the plants.
BTW, are those fish aggressive or peaceful and are they algae eaters as well?

DTs

AC Members
Oct 29, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA
Visit site
Hey, two of my SAEs were fighting yesterday. It was really funny looking, actually as they continually swam in fast circles about each other.

I thought these guys were supposed to be peaceful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store