Feeding Cichlid Fry?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SayersWeb

Aquarium & Pond Keeper
Dec 4, 2003
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
I have a bunch of newly hatched Midas Cichlid fry.... They are in a 10 gallon. I've tried frozen brine shrimp, but the chunks seem too big for them at this point. I took a small piece of a cichlid stick and ground it up and put a little in the tank. Couldn't tell if they ate any of it.

Trying to be careful and not spoil the water.... Any suggestions?

SayersWeb

Aquarium & Pond Keeper
Dec 4, 2003
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
I searched the PetSmart website and they show a liquid fry food, is this what you are talking about?

Never even considered that there might be actual fry food. :)

mtdewlover

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
I'm feeding my cichlid fry small freshwater food. It's not flakes but like super small pellets. They love and are really healthy.

SayersWeb

Aquarium & Pond Keeper
Dec 4, 2003
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
Originally posted by mtdewlover
I'm feeding my cichlid fry small freshwater food. It's not flakes but like super small pellets. They love and are really healthy.
The Midas fry are way to small for anything like that yet. I took a food stick and pulverized it and the little bits were still too big for them.

I did get the liqui-fry stuff today and it seems to be working out ok.

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
You can also try frozen brine shrimp "for" fry 'cause they are almost like water condition. That's what I fed mine.

Did you ask this question on MoJo's forum? Most of those people there are breeders. They would know what to do when it comes to fry food.

SayersWeb

Aquarium & Pond Keeper
Dec 4, 2003
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
I tried the frozen but it was too large. These Midas fry are really tiny. In a few days they will handle the frozen brine shrimp just fine.

I had two breeding pair of the Midas in the 180 up until a few weeks ago. They alternated breeding every few weeks on opposite ends of the tank. This went on for several years and then one day all %$^%$@ broke loose and the Midas pairs started an all out war with each other.

I took one pair up to a LFS (not chain, but specialty). They said they were practically worthless since it would be difficult to sell such big cichlids and that they'd be doing me a favor just to take them. So, I went into the store a week later and they had them in a tank priced at $65! Worthless.... ehh? :confused:

Today when I went in for the liqu-fry (another two weeks had gone by) I learned that they had sold them at the asking price... worthless... ehh? :sad

I told the employee I was talking to (who was very nice) that I had just gotten fry from the other pair. Once he realized they were related to the pair that I had brought in he was all eager for me to let him know when the fry are 1-2" long so that I could bring them in. He thought the pair were gorgeous....

Worthless ehhh? :argh

marsupialvomit

PARTY CAT!!!!!
Dec 13, 2003
Ohio
www.angelfire.com
alright

Sanfrancisco brine shrimp company produce miny home hatchery's that you can start in your own home. This was the ideal solution to my feeding problem. The mix and everyting you'll need comes in the box set and it costs $9. It's worked before. But if that doesn't work try smashing cichlid FLAKE food and pulverize it into a almost fine powder...this is how I feed my mollies.

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
Sayer, the frozen brine shrimp I mentioned is very small. They are totally crushed to created into liquid like. That's what I fed all my very small cichlids. Maybe your area doesn't have those available. The front of the package did mention, "For small fish & fry".

As mentioned, you should ask MoJo's forum's members for advice regarding fry. That's where I got most of my answers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store