Aqua Clear filter MOD 2x efficiency plus nitrate capability

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Modifying the both the Aqua Clear 70 and 110 for greater surface area was much easier then I expected resulting in higher long and short term efficiency and alleviating that bothersome bottom pressure that causes the media to lift up and out of the housing and potentially flooding the floors.
Step 1 below. By simply taking the 1st AC sponge for the same size filter your using, here we have a model 70 below. We place the first sponge on its side rather then flat, up against the front and sealing ½ of the water intake grates.

Step 2 below. The 2nd AC sponge is placed on top of the 1st only offset by 1/8 inch to maximize water outflow on the front exit side but still sealing the side intake grates and locked firmly in by the basked claws and top tabs. This 1/8 inch front gap will be maintained because of water pressure equalization and since water pressure has been reduced by half due to twice the surface area.

Step 3 below. You will notice that the back void created allows free flow of intake water without the bottom pressure and the water column now created forces water weight forward through the sponge yet at 2X times the surface area lowering work load on the pump while dropping back pressure and increasing filter surface area and efficiency by 100%. The void also provides a location to grow low light house plants hydroponically.

Step 4 below. The leading edge of the top sponge is still 1/4 inch lower then the housing elevating the possibility of any spills or overflows by auto bypassing when the filter becomes too dirty which will last longer then the stock configuration. Also allowing the added space for the growing of plants hydroponically, turns this filter into a mechanical, biological and nitrate removing filter.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Interesting idea, but it would be easier to use a rock on the lid to prevent the media from lifting if you don't bother to rinse the sponges often enough to prevent overflow. :dance:

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Nice idea there.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I didn't know that OVERFLOW was a possibility. Is it really? Mine lifts a bit once in a while but it usually is calling for a rinsing at that point so I do it and problem solved.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It can overflow if the filter is not level or slightly tilted toward the tank. The first AC we had would overflow & we hated ACs for years because of it.
I wish they'd make the little plastic level-thing easier to use. Something is needed to allow for different tank rims. Anything will work behind the filter box to keep it level but mine tend to fall behind the tank & disappear.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
wonderful,.. i think i'll try this on my 110s
The 110 is not as MOD friendly because the sponge is so long compared to its width its going to require cutting the sponge in half to provide room in the back for a void and a stand off screen in the front to give it room to outflow. So I wouldn't bother at this point with the 110, the 70 seems to be the only AC model that naturally fits this way and works with no hard MODs. In the interim Im replacing my 110 with the 70 because I desperately need a nitrate filter for my African tank as im haveing to do water chnage 2 to 1 compared to my other tanks with nitrate plant filters. Ill let you know what I work out with the 110 in the future when I come up with a stand off screen.

Last edited:

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I didn't know that OVERFLOW was a possibility. Is it really? Mine lifts a bit once in a while but it usually is calling for a rinsing at that point so I do it and problem solved.
I had to use rocks and a piece of underground filter screen to keep the sponge in my 110 from lifting up and blocking its own outflow port and the sponge would touch the wall and dribble water down the drywall. I finally started strapping the lid shut with a small belt. But its annoying to have to go through all that. Ill post a solution for the 110 as soon as I can get it to work as good as the 70 MOD.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store